Understanding TikTok algorithm – how to get views
The TikTok algorithm is key to your video going viral, so you should know how it works. The word itself may seem intimidating, but don’t worry. Many TikTok users still take advantage of this system despite knowing little about it. Wait a minute, does this mean just pumping out great content isn’t enough to land on the For You feed?
Believe it or not, that’s right, you cannot bank on just creating and releasing quality content to launch your online influencer career. Even without following the TikTok algorithm, you will still have to beat the millions of other users aiming for that top spot. Fortunately, you’ll have a fighting chance if you can use the algorithm to your benefit!
We can’t just throw that term around without understanding what it means, so we’ll start from there. Then, we will explain the factors that can affect the TikTok algorithm. More importantly, we’ll head to the nitty-gritty of getting more views using this system. If you want a better edge above the rest, you must try the other methods we’ll share later!
What’s the Tiktok algorithm?
To explain how it works, let’s take the point of view of your average TikTok user. When they open the app, they will immediately see the For You page.
It’s the top corner where all the trending videos of the day are located. If your content’s there, that means you posted a high-performing video. How does it get there in the first place?
Aside from the quality of your content, the TikTok algorithm decides the ones that will reach the top. Think of it as a set of rules that TikTok’s computers follow.
If people choose the entries for the For You page, that will take too long! That’s why TikTok uses what it calls its “recommendation system,” and it follows the following criteria:
- Video information that may include captions, hashtags, and sounds.
- User interactions include the TikTok videos you like or share, the content you’ve created, your comments, and your followed accounts.
- Device and account settings cover your country setting, language preference, and device type.
TikTok says it’s intended to help you “find content and creators that encourage you to explore experiences you might not otherwise see.” This likely explains why it has a Discover tab.
What’s more, its website says that it doesn’t give much larger follower bases an advantage. It doesn’t matter if the Tiktok account has had previous high-performing videos, either.
Still, we don’t know all there is about how the TikTok algorithm works. After all, social media platforms keep it a closely guarded secret because it’s a large part of how their services work.
In other words, we may not know all the factors in the recommendation system. Yet, the stuff we already know is enough to help you get more views.
Read More: How To Get Unshadowbanned On TikTok
How to open a TikTok pro account
The first thing you have to do is create a TikTok pro account. You can do it for free, and it unlocks a bunch of metrics you’ll need. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the TikTok app.
- Tap the three-dot icon in your profile’s upper-right corner.
- Choose “Manage my account.”
- Tap “Switch to a Pro Account.”
- Pick your business category.
- After that, tap Done.
Once you have a pro account, you’ll have access to TikTok Analytics in the Settings menu. This part has two tabs called Follower and Content. Learn more about them below:
- Follower – This tab will only show info 24 hours after the Pro account activates. The Follower tab shows details about the people watching a video, such as their age and location.
- Content – This tab shows the shares, likes, and watch times of a video posted by an account. What’s more, it reflects the number of times a certain hashtag has spread.
How can I benefit from the TikTok algorithm?
After you’ve opened a Pro account, you’re ready to go through the next steps. Learn more about them below:
- Identify your subculture and stick with it. That should be a topic that you like, and you must add interesting content to it. That way, you’ll show up in the For You pages of those in the same subculture. Eventually, those folks will recommend you to other groups, expanding your follower base.
- Post at the right time for your target audience. Once you find your subculture, know what time they watch TikTok. Then, post at those times so you can receive more views. Click here to know what time you should post videos.
- Make the most out of your first TikTok video. The first few seconds should be enough to stop people from doing what they’re doing. It would be great if you paid for TikTok ads too.
- Write an exciting caption, something short that would convince people to watch. You have 160 characters in a tweet, but TikTok only allows 150.
- Create high-quality videos with high resolution, the proper aspect ratio, and non-copyrighted music.
- Interact with other users so people see that you’re well-connected in the community.
Other ways to get more TikTok views
Ads and high-quality content aren’t the only ways to get more views. You must go beyond gaming the TikTok algorithm and gather viewers from outside the platform by using:
- Blog posts – If you can, write articles about your favorite topics, which can attract more people and lead them to your TikTok content. You may ask another website to feature your content, or you may launch a webpage yourself.
- Social media – Have a Facebook and Twitter account, so people have more ways to reach you. Like the blog posts, your social media pages should promote your TikTok content.
- Other ads – You may also pay for ads for these social networks. They don’t cost that much, but paying more can increase their effectiveness.
We just talked about how the TikTok algorithm works. Again, we do not know all that makes it tick. Still, this is enough for people to top the platform.
We said you should use ads to attract more viewers, but who has the time? After all, it’s not that easy to pump out great content regularly.
Fortunately, digital marketing agencies like LeadAdvisors can help you promote your pages, such as social media marketing and search engine optimization.
You may even let them handle your marketing, so you can focus on creating and posting great TikTok videos. Click here to learn more about how LeadAdvisors can help you.