Best GPS devices to buy on Amazon
Planning for a long-distance trip is a piece of cake if you have the best GPS within reach. While you may be armed with Google Maps, Waze, or Apple Maps on your smartphone, they’re only primarily good for traveling short distances, believe it or not. A Global Positioning System or GPS is still the best way to get around.
Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) is a general term for different types of satellite-based positioning, navigation, and timing (PNT) systems used around the world. The best GPS navigators use this to their advantage to make their maps and systems more accurate.
Some companies specialize in safe car travel to be at ease when you are on the road. This is especially true if you are traveling to a new location or have to take a detour. Restaurants, malls, spas, gas stations, and wherever else you need to get to can also be easily accessible, even if they’re in an unusually hidden path.
Best GPS for 2021
For your next family out-of-town-trip, be sure to get your hands on the best GPS units and GPS devices for your dash. It could come in handy for your everyday trip to and from work, especially if you live in a big city where constructions and road detours seem to pop up out of nowhere the whole year-round.
The best GPS models are usually ones that have the most accurate maps and traffic forecasts. That’s not to say you need to break the bank when choosing to buy one. There are plenty out there that are made of good quality and can last for a while. However, most top-grade GPS technologies cost a little over a hundred bucks.
What to Look for When Buying GPS
There are many factors to consider when buying your car GPS. Take a good look at the price, features, screen size, sounds, and other essential components. There are some modest models out there that would work well for confirming paper maps and compasses. There are also GPS systems that make use of intelligent features such as full-color HD touch screens.
Each GPS satellite has several atomic clocks that give exact time data to the GPS signals. GPS receivers decode these signals and then synchronize each receiver to the atomic clocks. GPS works by receiving radio signals or waves from satellites outside of Earth that provide accurate latitude, longitude, and time of spaces on the ground.
Best GPS on Amazon
One thing to consider when buying your own is the GPS position. Some GPS units only show latitude and longitude. This is good enough for some, but some models provide a grid reference, altitude, and distance to your destination if you need to be more specific. You also want a device with a decent memory and battery life. You’ll be using it for a while, after all.
There is also the matter of durability. Spending a few dollars more for a reputable brand could save you from buying another one in just a short amount of time. You can choose between a more traditional GPS that uses manual press buttons and innovative units with touchscreens. Devices like Garmin Speak to Alexa can also work well as an AI assistant while you navigate.
- Price: $199.99
- Why It’s Great: As one of the leading brands for GPS navigators, TomTom Go has incredibly accurate traffic information. Its system also has a built-in Wi-Fi that automatically updates the software, so everything goes as smoothly as possible. It is also compatible with Siri and Google via Bluetooth to do the hands-free calling and send text messages.
- Its destination prediction also learns your driving habits and capability. It can predict when you are going to your frequently visited places, and you can also save destinations in its memory drive. A bonus? You can make road trips fun by using their Road Trips Community. Simply sync your device with that of your companions’ cars and enjoy a hassle-free ride.
BUY NOW ON AMAZON: HERE
- Price: $121.78
- Why It’s Great: With its bright 6-inch dual-orientation display screen, Garmin Drive’s interface makes for one of the best in GPS brands. It is preloaded with free lifetime map updates of the United States, so you never get lost no matter where you are on the continent. The battery life can last for up to an hour, so you’ll need a charger in handy if you plan on taking a long drive.
- It also has a unique system called Garmin Drivesmart that alerts drivers for any dangers like sudden curves, speed limits, speeding cameras, animal crossings, constructions, railroad crossings, real-time traffic, and many more. TripAdvisor ratings are also available for frequently visited places like malls, hotels, and restaurants.
BUY NOW ON AMAZON: HERE
- Price: $169.00
- Why It’s Great: Using the widely used and developed Android Marshmallow OS, ATOTO’s portable GPS is deeply customized and optimized for your convenience. It also has a boatload of features that will surely come in handy. These include an AM/FM radio, AUX dashcam input, Bluetooth, and steering wheel key control.
- Its memory drive can support up to 1TB SSD drive, so you can virtually download and store as much data as you want. ATOTO A6 also has a Quick Booting feature that allows you to quickly gain access to the navigation system right after you start the car — within two seconds! Batteries are not included, so you might want to purchase that along with this car GPS unit.
BUY NOW ON AMAZON: HERE
- Price: $82.99
- Why It’s Great: Relatively cheaper when in comparison to the others in this list, AROVA still makes it one of the best car GPS. Its 7-inch HD touchscreen has an easy interface that you can neatly use to your liking. One excellent product feature is its free lifetime map update of the latest North American map, including the USA, Canada, and Mexico.
- You can install and update your maps at no extra cost, forever! That’s a good deal, especially if you plan on going on long trips for most of the year. Its navigation system supports postcodes, addresses, coordinates, turn-by-turn directions, and points of interest (POI). It also has driver alerts for speed cameras, current speed, lane guidance, and estimated arrival time, amongst other features.
BUY NOW ON AMAZON: HERE
Is Garmin or TomTom Better?
According to many reviews of both GPS brands, the two are close in features that you can’t go wrong with either one. The price range also isn’t that far apart, as well as their usability and map accuracy. However, if you’re looking for a handheld GPS device better for hikers and pedestrians, Garmin might be the better option. TomTom specializes in-car GPS navigation.
TomTom units tend to display more accurate information such as streets and a better real-time traffic alert. Garmin, on the other hand, has graphics that are neater and easier to read. Both companies offer wristwatches powered by GPS technology and GPS apps for smartphones as well.
They also offer 3D mapping, so navigating complicated and convoluted freeways, backcountry, and trails should be easier for you. Whichever brand you choose, they are both among the best. Their features differ in more than one aspect, so be sure to make a thorough comparison before making your choice.
The best GPS is one that you can use frequently and for long periods without falling on you. It is essential to buy accurate car GPS systems, so you don’t get lost along the way but cut back on your travel time. This will save you a lot of things, including gas and energy for driving.
If you find some units too expensive, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, or Prime Day sales usually offer great deals for essential tech gadgets such as GPS. Just be sure to do your research beforehand, so you know which ones to grab first when the craze begins. Durability is also essential when choosing your GPS. Make sure to get one that will last you a good long while during your trip.