Best homemade chicken taco recipe
Who doesn’t love chicken tacos? If you love cooking and would love to make the best homemade chicken tacos, we have an excellent recipe for you.
It is Taco Tuesday, and you do not know what to do. Don’t know what to cook for weeknight dinners? The kids want tacos, but you feel like tacos are bland, and you all eat them every week.
Why not try a new kind of taco?
The Best Homemade Chicken Taco Recipe
How about easy chicken tacos? The best homemade chicken tacos are quick and easy.
The best homemade chicken taco recipe makes 6 servings. It takes 15 minutes to prepare the tacos. It takes 15 minutes to cook. So the total time needed for the tacos is only 30 minutes.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- One teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 12 mini flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup pico de gallo, homemade or store-bought
- 1 avocado, halved, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- one teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
When you have gotten all the ingredients together, you will follow these next steps.
- In a bowl, add chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Season the chicken with chili powder mixture.
- Get a large skillet and place it over the stove. Spray some olive oil in the skillet so nothing will stick. Place the skillet over medium-high heat to cook.
- You are going to add the chicken in batches. Start with a single laver. Cook until the chicken thighs are golden brown. Usually about 4-5 minutes per side.
- The chicken is cooked thoroughly when its internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
- Cool the chicken for about 5 minutes before cutting it into bite-size pieces.
- Serve chicken in tortillas, flour, or corn tortillas- you can even use taco shell whatever you prefer
- Top the taco with pico de gallo, avocado, cilantro, and lime. Add sour cream or lime juice for flavor.
Related Article: Unleavened Bread Recipe
Can I Use Beef Taco Seasoning on Chicken?
You can use beef taco seasoning on the chicken. Taco seasoning will not taste the same as fajita seasoning. You can make your taco seasoning too. Here is a simple recipe for that.
Home Made Taco Seasoning Recipe
Here is a do-it-yourself taco seasoning recipe. It is simple and easy and takes 10 minutes.
It has 231 calories, and there are 11 ingredients in it. This recipe makes 6 servings.
- 5 teaspoons of Paprika
- 1 ¼ teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon of Ground Cumin
- One teaspoon of Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Oregano Leaves
- One and ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon of corn starch
- ¾ cup water
- 1 pound of chicken/lean beef/ground turkey- any substitution that you would like
- ¾ cup of water
- 12 taco shells- If you would like to use a substitution here, there are other options
- Mix the spices with the herbs, salt, and corn starch in a small bowl until blended well. Put the bowl aside.
- Brown the meat in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Then drain.
- Draining will make sure all of the fat is out of the meat.
- Stir in seasoning and add water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the blend has thickened slightly. Stir occasionally.
- Spoon mix into the warm taco shells.
- Serve with the toppings that you like. We suggest shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream. If you have avocado, you can make guacamole.
Important Things to Note
If you like your blends with a bit of spice to them, try adding some Crushed Red Pepper to the mixture. Suggested portion- ¼ teaspoon. If you want to make a big batch of seasoning blend, all you need to do is either double or triple the seasoning blend part of this recipe.
Make sure that you store this in an air-tight container in a cool, dry place. It will stay safe to eat for 6 months. To prepare 1 pound of taco meat, use 4 ½ tablespoons of the seasoning blend along with ¾ cup of water.
Here is another easy chicken taco recipe as well. This one is a little different from the first one. Just in case the first one was not your style. These tacos are a little bit more Americanized, and it is very delicious.
You can always make substitutions for the recipe items if you aren’t a fan of a particular ingredient. Try a new marinade with this recipe.
Related Article: Best Super Bowl Party Food Ideas
Simply add chicken to a resealable bag and pour olive oil, fresh lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
Next, place the bag into the refrigerator for 30 or more minutes. When you are ready to cook, take the bag out and take the chicken out of the marinade bag.
Place into a skillet with olive oil in it. Add chicken to skillet and cook through. Here’s what you will need for the fast and easy chicken tacos recipe.
Chicken Taco Recipe
This recipe makes 4 servings. It takes 10 minutes to prep and 30 minutes total time.
What are the Ingredients?
For the Tacos:
- 3 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut them into 1” strips
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of paprika
- ¼ teaspoons of cayenne
- 8 corn or flour tortillas, make sure that they are warmed
- Sour Cream
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Diced Avocados
- Fresh Cilantro
- Lime Wedges
Related Article: Best Romance Movies on Netflix Right Now
- In a large skillet over medium heat, you want to heat oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the skillet.
- Cook until golden, which is about 6 minutes.
- Add spices and stir until the chicken is fully coated. If needed, add a little more olive oil to spread the herbs out and coat the chicken.
- Build tacos: In the tortillas, you can add chicken and your favorite toppings.
- Serve with lime wedges on the side or top of the tacos.
This recipe has a few variations to it. Some recipes like this one call for ¼ cup of chicken broth.
Adding chicken broth to the spice blend will help the spices stay on the chicken better than simply using water. The choice is strictly up to you.
There you have it, whether it is Taco Tuesday or leftover Friday, these recipes for the best homemade chicken tacos will knock your socks off. Both of these are easy to make and take very little time too.
Your family and friends will absolutely love your chicken tacos, and they will come back for more. There is also a fast and easy recipe to make your homemade seasoning for the tacos. Enjoy!