What Does CBD Oil Do – Top 7 Benefits
On realizing the benefits of the best CBD oil, the US government and citizens started having second thoughts about the controversial cannabis rights all over the 50 states. Like any other social issue, before we choose sides, we need to ask ourselves what does CBD oil do? A lot!
You can use CBD oil to treat numerous medical conditions ranging from aches and pains to epilepsy syndromes.
For example, doctors can prescribe CBD oil to treat Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.
The most interesting thing here is that these syndromes don’t respond to several antiseizure drugs.
While the current list of CBD benefits, we know it is just a tip of the weed-berg.
Medical scientists are busy investigating more potential benefits of cannabidiol.
Sit tight, as we uncover the top 7 benefits of CBD oil.
How does Cannabidiol Work?
Before we dive into the top 7 benefits of cannabidiol oil, let’s take a brief look at how cannabidiol works in the human body.
Cannabidiol (CBD) is the non-psychoactive constituent of the cannabis plant (Cannabis sativa).
Studies show that CBD may affect the psychoactive effects of THC.
Out of the 113 different cannabinoids in the plant, research credits cannabidiol for its medicinal attributes.
Unlike other cannabinoids, such as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabichromene-type (CBC), cannabinol-type (CBN) and cannabigerol-type (CBG), cannabidiol has little or no chemical attraction for CB1 and CB2 receptors.
It targets other endocannabinoid receptors like 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT1a), transient receptor potential vanilloid receptor 1 (TRPV1), and G protein-coupled receptor 55 (GPR55), and more.
As of 2019, scientists could not explain the full mechanism of action of CBD. But they discovered some effects or benefits of CBD by experimenting on lab animals.
These effects have been identified in humans treated with CBD oil.
What are the Top 7 Benefits of CBD Oil?
If you’ve been following CBD-related blogs, you’d have noticed some testimonials from users of cannabidiol oil.
Here, we’re going to discuss the benefits and of course the facts behind them.
- The endocannabinoid system in the human body regulates sleep, pain, appetite, and immune system response. This specialized system contains endocannabinoids, which are neurotransmitters that bind with cannabinoid receptors in your nervous system. And our chemical compound of interest, Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the 113 cannabinoids founds in Cannabis Sativa.
- Research reveals that CBD products are reliable pain-relievers and anti-inflammatory agents. As a cannabinoid receptor agonist, CBD reduces pain-causing thresholds by adjusting neuronal activities. CBD can relieve chronic pain when dealing with non-nervous tissues
- The oral spray Sativex was administered to multiple sclerosis patients and the results were amazing. The study showed all the 47 patients treated with Sativex for a month were reported to improve more than the Placebo group. The Sativex-treated patients felt little or no pain and muscle spasms. They could walk easier than others.
- Note: The FDA has yet to approve Sativex.
Serves as an Antidepressant
- As the single biggest contributor to disability worldwide, depression ranked on the chart released by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- The current pharmaceutical drugs, such as Benzodiazepines, used to treat depression and anxiety patients have several side effects like drowsiness, addiction, agitation, substance abuse, insomnia, sexual dysfunction, and headache.
- Unlike these pharmaceutical drugs, Cannabis oil has little or no side effects because it’s a natural drug. Children with post-traumatic stress disorder and suffer from anxiety and insomnia have been administered CBD to treat.
- The antidepressant qualities of CBD are connected to its ability to act on serotonin (5-HTR) receptors. These receptors regulate mood and human behavior.
Alleviates Cancer Symptoms
- Cancer-related symptoms and chemotherapy-induced effects, such as nausea, pain management, and vomiting, can be treated with CBD oil. Like anxiety patients, cancer patients seek a better alternative that is natural and has no side effects and high health benefits – CBD to the rescue.
- A study of 16 patients who were placed under chemotherapy discovered that a direct combination of levels of THC and CBD products reduced chemotherapy-related symptoms.
Treats Acne Vulgaris
- Acne Vulgaris affects 9% of the world’s population. This medical condition associated with clogged skin pores, blackheads, and whiteheads. Acne Vulgaris caused by the inflammation of the sebaceous.
- CBD oil is popularly for its anti-inflammatory properties and sebum-reduction abilities.
- Lab experiments show that Cannabis oil prevents sebaceous glands from secreting sebum. CBD can halt the initiation of pro-acne agents such as inflammatory cytokines, a form of signaling synthesized by our body immune system to promote inflammation.
How to Calculate the Proper Dosage of CBD Oil
Possesses Neuroprotective Attributes
- Judging from the way CBD acts on the endocannabinoid system and other nervous signaling systems, however, scientists believe CBD may be beneficial to people with neurological disorders.
- The CBD’s ability to act on the endocannabinoid system and other brain signaling systems may provide benefits for those with neurological disorders. CBD oil has been useful in the treatment of neurological disorders, such as epilepsy and multiple sclerosis.
- Moreover, doctors gave 214 epilepsy patients 0.9-2.3 g of CBD per pound. That dosage lowered their seizures remarkably by a median of 36.5%. That’s huge! Also, several researchers discovered that CBD-infused drugs increase the quality of life and sleep of those with Parkinson’s disease.
- Note: Only a small percentage of the patients worsened during treatment with CBD oil. Not everyone responds positively to potent drugs and CBD isn’t an exception.
Contributes to Heart Health
- The cause of most heart diseases, such as stroke, metabolic syndrome, and heart attack, is high blood pressure. CBD lowers the blood pressure till its back to its normal pressure level.
- Diabetic mice with a heart condition experienced a reduction in oxidative stress, as well as prevention in heart damage when treated with CBD.
- A study of 10 men administered each of 600 mg of CBD oil resulted in a decrease in blood pressure after they.
Apart from the aforementioned benefits, cannabis-infused oil is useful in many other ways.
Scientists are still exploring its potentials.
Below are the additional benefits of cannabidiol:
- Has antipsychotic attributes: by reducing psychotic symptoms, CBD is a potential treatment for schizophrenia patients.
- Treats substance abuse: rats with morphine dependence and heroin-seeking behavior grew less dependent on morphine and heroin after exposing them to CBD. Scientists are speculating that CBD has the ability to modify brain circuits controlling addiction.
- When an experiment was conducted on diabetic mice, diabetes in the mice reduced by 56%.
- Fight tumor cells: In an experiment conducted in test-tubes and animals, CBD demonstrated anti-tumor qualities. It prevented the growth of cancerous cells in animals regardless of the organ infected.
Is CBD Legal? Hemp-derived CBD products (with less than 0.3 percent THC) are legal on the federal level but are still illegal under some state laws. Check your state’s laws and those of anywhere you travel. Keep in mind that nonprescription CBD products are not FDA-approved.
Published April 26,2019; Updated May 20,2019; Updated February 24, 2020.