2019 MLB Standings Predictions | Projecting the Final Standings
2019 MLB Standings Predictions – Take Me Out to the Ball Game
It’s that time of year again, and everyone is excited to see how this year’s Major League Baseball season is going to end up. Many professionals have already decided who they think will be up for victory in 2019, and who may fall behind.
This season is already underway, and as soon as opening day commenced, everyone started making their decisions as to who would be at the top and the bottom of the league rankings. We have broken down each division, and highlighted predictions and analysis for each team. Did you make any 2019 MLB standings predictions? How do you think that your team will do this season? Let’s take a look for a ‘home run’ analysis on the 2019 MLB standings predictions.
2019 MLB Standings Predictions – AL East
Overview of Teams:
1. Boston Red Sox
- The Boston Red Sox are fully loaded with the power and talent to win the World Series once again.
- There are some untested players, which is a point of potential weakness.
- Craig Kimbrel and Joe Kelly are gone.
- Matt Barnes and Ryan Brasier can step into prime roles.
- Their offense is stacked, and all of the key players are back as the highest-scoring offense in baseball.
- Rotation will benefit from a full season of Nathan Eovaldi.
- Their biggest competition is going to be the New York Yankees.
2. New York Yankees
- Added James Paxton, and signed J. A. Happ during offseason.
- Without Luis Severino and CC Sabathia to start the year.
- This led to signing Gio Gonzalez.
- They have a stacked bullpen, and high-powered offense.
- Will go as far as their starting pitchers can take them.
3. Tampa Bay Rays
- Will rely on their pitchers to win the games.
- Free-agent Charlie Morton and Tyler Glasno give the rotation a little more stability behind Blake Snell.
- Two spots will be filled with an opener after they find success in the way that they won last year.
- A break out season from Willy Adames, Brandon Lowe, Nate Lowe, and others can go a long way.
4. Toronto Blue Jays
- It is a ‘rebuild’ year for these guys.
- Additions of Matt Shoemaker and Clay Buchholz, alongside a healthy Marcus Stroman could show an improved staff.
- Vladimir Guerreo Jr. will give the fans a look to the future.
5. Baltimore Orioles
- The Orioles are starting off fresh after losing 115 games last season.
- Will they ever see the light?
2019 MLB Standings Predictions – AL Central
Overview of Teams
1. Cleveland Indians
- They have received three straight AL Central titles by a combined 38 games, and there’s no end in sight to their hold on this division.
- Starting rotation of Corey Kluber, Trevor Bauer, Carlos Carrasco, Mike Clevinger, and Shane Bieber took the #1 spot in the ‘top ten starters in baseball.’
- Bieber looks like a potential breakout player.
- There are holes in the outfield and catcher positions.
2. Minnesota Twins
- Last year, they took a step back. They won seven less games last season than the previous season.
- Several players did not perform as well as expected
- They could make the playoffs, easily, if the rotation holds up behind Jose Berrios.
- They need to unite as more of a team, instead of depending on one or two players.
Chicago White Sox, Kansas City Royals, and Detroit Tigers will battle to avoid the last place spot. The Chicago White Sox are favored among the three not to come in last. The Royals have a longer rebuild ahead of them. They could lose 100 games easily.
2019 MLB Standings Predictions – AL West
Overview of Teams:
1. Houston Astros
- The Houston Astros have won back to back seasons, and they’re clear favorites to take the AL West title once again.
- Their pitchers look great this year, so far. Forrest Whitley helps the rotation, as do depth options like Brad Peacock and Framber Valdez.
2. Oakland Athletics
- They surprised people last year with their record.
- Matt Chapman is a superstar, and he has Matt Olson, Khris Davis, and Stephen Piscotty to help drive this underrated team.
- The bullpen is going to be a huge weapon this season.
- Can the momentum continue the whole season?
3. Los Angeles Angels
- Signed Matt Harvey and Trevor Cahill to one-year deals.
- Added veteran catcher Jonathan Lucroy could also help the pitchers.
- Capable of .500
4. Seattle Mariners
- Seattle has focused on trimming payroll and rebuilding the farm system this offseason, so a playoff drought that stretches back to 2001 will likely be extended.
5. Texas Rangers
- The end of the Beltre era appears to have signaled of a roster retooling for the Texas Rangers.
2019 MLB Standings Predictions – NL East
Overview of Teams:
- The NL East could be a crazy ‘all-out’ war.
- The Atlanta Braves took advantage of their mediocre season. They improved drastically on a 72-90 year to claim their first NL East title since 2013.
- They are predicted to be number one again this season.
1. New York Mets
- The busiest team in the division during the offseason.
- If the starting rotation stays healthy, they could do very well
2. Philadelphia Phillies
- May still have Bryce Harper and Craig Kimbrel.
- They are growing disappointed with their expensive players who let them down.
- Good team, but might not cut it this year.
3. Miami Marlins
- Their biggest decision is whether or not to trade their all-star catcher, J.T. Realmuto.
2019 MLB Standings Predictions – NL Central
Overview of Teams:
The NL Central was a three-team battle last year. It is going to be more exciting this year, though.
1. Chicago Cubs
- Most talented team in this division.
- Best starting rotation in baseball.
- They can be number one if they want to be.
- Huge potential
2. St. Louis Cardinals
- They have made some moves to bridge the gap.
- They are developing young players that can be big factors soon.
3. Milwaukee Brewers
- Defending champs after a 96-win season.
- Spent off seasons resting.
- Should have worked more and harder during the off season.
4. Cincinnati Reds
- Have made a significant push to contend by adding Alex Wood, Tanner Roark, and Sonny Gray to the starting rotation.
- There is major improvement coming, and soon.
4. Pittsburgh Pirates
- The Pirates have a lot of work to do.
- If they were in another division, they may do well.
- Might come up with 75 wins.
2019 MLB Standings Predictions – NL West
Overview of Teams:
1. Los Angeles Dodgers
- Have captured six straight NL West crowns
- It’s 2019; they want more and are hungry for success.
2. Colorado Rockies
- Took the Dodgers down to the wire last year.
- They want to be contenders again this season.
3. Arizona Diamondbacks
- They have a lot of talent on their team.
- Can reach .500
4. San Diego Padres
- They signed Manny Machado!
- The team has many rising prospects.
- They could come in third place this season.
- Maybe still a season away, but the potential is there.
5. San Francisco Giants
- Still at the bottom of the heap.
- They do not realize that they need to rebuild.
2019 MLB Standings Predictions – Conclusion
As the 2019 MLB season approaches, fans and professional in the sports industry are making predictions for the coming competition. Keep your eyes peeled for the latest updates on player trades, player stat reviews, and other 2019 MLB standings predictions.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.