Best salmon recipe to try in simple steps
Looking for the best salmon recipe isn’t as hard as you might think it is. As one of the most favored dishes in the world, there are over hundreds of recipes out there. The best part is that salmon works with just about any diet. The fish is also considered a superfood across many countries and cultures. Not to mention, it tastes super delicious and goes well with many other foods and drinks.
Salmon are native to the North Atlantic and the Pacific Ocean. However, other salmon species can be found in freshwater, like the Great Lakes in North America. There are also thousands of salmon farms all over the world due to the rising demand for fish. For more on how to best cook salmon, read below.
Benefits of eating salmon fish
The American Heart Association agrees that eating oily fish at least twice a week can ward off multiple diseases. The omega-3 fatty acids abundant in salmon can help prevent cardiovascular diseases and improve overall heart health. Eating the super fish can also help reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol levels, and is a good source of potassium.
Some health enthusiasts promote easy salmon recipe dishes for their health benefits and encourage them to lose weight. While salmon does have ample benefits, it is important to remember that a balanced diet is still the key to a healthy lifestyle. Try out some of the easy, best salmon recipes listed here but try to limit it twice or thrice a week only.
Best salmon recipes to try at home
There are plenty of ways to enjoy salmon dishes without shelling out hundreds of bucks at some fancy restaurant. You can make do with the ingredients already in your fridge or pantry, or a quick trip to the grocery should get you settled for some me-time in the kitchen. Check out some of the easiest and best salmon recipes to try at home. Most of them take less than 20 minutes to make as well.
Salmon Rice Bowl
Rice bowls are super easy to make because they can be customized as much as you want them to be. Just throw in a bunch of complementary ingredients together with your favorite type of rice, and you have yourself a rice bowl. For this particular recipe, you will only need a few ingredients and simple instructions.
- A grilled piece of salmon can be seasoned or not, your choice.
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup of cooked white, brown, or any of your preferred kind of rice
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt to taste
- ½ cup of corn, fresh, canned, or frozen (or more depending on your serving size)
- 1 15-oz can of black beans
- ½ minced large red onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of lime or lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 or 2 large avocados
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Potato chips (optional)
Related Article: Best Smoothie Bowl Recipe to Try
- Prepare the grilled salmon and set it aside.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the cilantro rice in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the corn, black beans, and red onion to the bowl and mix well.
- Place the salmon on top of the rice.
- Slice the large avocados and palace them beside the salmon.
- Whisk the olive oil, chopped cilantro, lime juice, and salt, and drizzle the dressing over the bowl.
- Serve with Greek yogurt and sour cream plus your favorite chips, and enjoy!
Rainbow Salmon Skewers
For this recipe, you can’t use tender salmon fishes. Instead, choose sturdy, meaty fish because you will need to put them in skewers. You can use other fishes together with the salmon as well. Tuna, grouper, swordfish, or halibut are good options.
- Big pieces of thick, meaty salmon
- ½ each of a red, green, yellow, and orange bell pepper
- ¼ large red onion
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Lemon slices for serving
- Cut the salmon pieces into 1 and ½ inch chunks. You will need a bunch so you can alternate them on the skewers.
- Cut the peppers into the same 1 and ½ inch square pieces.
- Cut the red onion into similar-sized chunks and separate the layers.
- Arrange the skewers alternately with the onions and peppers, and then the salmon. Leave enough room at the bottom so you can handle the skewers easily.
- Brush the skewers with olive oil. Apply generally on both sides and sprinkle with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Preheat the grill. Place the skewers and cook on medium to high heat. Turn once until the fish and vegetables are cooked through, but don’t overcook them.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon on top.
- Optional: You can use zucchini and summer squash in place of the peppers.
Related Article: What is the Hottest Pepper in the World?
Asian Grilled Salmon
There may be plenty of baked salmon recipes out there, but that doesn’t mean you have to stick to the salt and pepper seasoning for weeknight dinners. This Asian grilled salmon marinade will shake things up a bit. The cooking time for this is about 15 minutes. Totally easy peasy!
- 4 6-oz salmon filets
- ¼ cup of tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger (optional)
- Note: You can find most of these ingredients at the Asian Store.
- Mix all of the wet ingredients and the ginger in a plastic bag or shallow baking dish. Whisk well to combine.
- Add salmon fillets and coat them in the marinade. Marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour or even longer. Be sure to flip the salmon halfway through to coat both sides evenly.
- Preheat the grill and brush it with canola or cooking oil so the fish won’t stick on it. Place the filets on the grill evenly. Flip halfway through cooking.
- Save the excess marinade and keep brushing it over the salmon to coat it in more flavor. Grill for about 6 to 7 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Serve with orzo, rice, or your favorite side dish.
Salmon Croquettes with Dill Sauce
Salmon croquettes are usually made with canned salmon, but you can also opt for fresh salmon. However, you’ll need more cooking time to make it that way. However, they always say, the fresher, the better. Dill sauce is the perfect complement to this dish. You can eat salmon croquettes as snacks or serve them as main dishes.
For the sauce:
- 1 and ½ cups of plain yogurt or light sour cream
- ¼ cup of Dijon mustard
- 6 sprigs of freshly chopped dill
For the salmon:
- 4 cans of 7,5oz canned salmon or equivalent weight of fresh salmon
- 4 finely chopped celery stalks
- 1 finely chopped large white onion
- 4 large eggs
- ½ tablespoon of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Drain the salmon. Remove and discard the skin and bones. If you’re using fresh salmon, cook it and shred it to pieces.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the salmon with celery, onion, egg, salt, and black pepper.
- Make patties by forming balls and pressing them together. Be careful as the patties will be delicate.
- Preheat a large skillet and add the cooking oil. Drop in the patties and cook until browned on each side.
- Combine the dill sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Serve with a dollop or as generously as you want with the dill sauce.
- Note: If you want a firmer croquette, add about ¾ cups of breadcrumbs to the mix.
What is the best method to cook salmon?
Cooking salmon isn’t all that difficult if you’ve already noticed from these recipes. Salmon bakes or cooks quickly, so it isn’t time-consuming. You can also add whatever ingredients you think will go well or just eat the fish by itself. But, of course, the best method to cook salmon is the one you prefer.
You can cook salmon on the stovetop, in the oven, over a grill, or you can even pop it in the microwave. There is also food-grade salmon sashimi that is eaten raw or made into sushi. It is low on calories and high on vitamins, minerals, and good fatty acids. Salmon is a fish that is super easy to cook and even more delicious to eat.
Is it better to fry or bake salmon?
Grilled and roasted salmon with fresh herbs and a good dose of veggies is always a good idea. Grilling or roasting food is a much healthier way of cooking compared to deep frying. The lack of oil means less cholesterol in the food. Grilling salmon is pretty easy. Just season your filets well and don’t overcook them.
Baking may also be a better way to retain the vitamin D content of fish, including salmon. Studies have found that baked salmon retained all of its vitamin D despite being cooked in relatively high heat. It’s also a healthier option than deep-frying the fish.
Salmon is a wonderful superfood. It can be cooked in hundreds of different ways and goes well with many side dishes and beverages. It also has a good long list of benefits that can go a long way for your overall health. Freshly caught salmon is also the best option. However, fresh salmon can be expensive.
The fish is often rare in places with salmon farms or natural resources where salmon can be found. Do your best to buy fresh fish but going for frozen or semi-fresh ones are okay. Just eat them in moderation.