Top 10 Richest Companies in the World as of 2022
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought a lot of challenges, such as unprecedented markets and ongoing war. The richest companies globally have outstanding shares, total assets, and the highest revenue despite all the circumstances. Financial experts apply different measures to know the value of the world’s largest company. We will use the market cap as a reference for this article.
The annual list of the most valuable largest companies in the world did not change drastically compared to the 2020 and 2021 listed companies. However, due to investors, distribution, management, customers, revenue, share price, and other factors, the data and figures show that the ranking of companies changed. Companies such as Paypal, Amazon, and Netflix increased their revenue. They benefited from the COVID-19 pandemic since people prefer online shopping, e-commerce, and digital payments.
What is Market Capitalization?
Market capitalization, also known as “Market Cap” for short, in the stock market terminology, is one of the most popular metrics used to check the performances of the world’s largest companies. The market cap is the product of multiplying the current market price of the richest companies in the world with outstanding shares issued by the company.
We listed down the top 10 richest companies in the world in the listed market as of May 2022.
Top 10 Richest Companies in the World derived from the Market Cap.
The list is based on market capitalization and is dominated by American-based companies. However, we also have companies from Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, China, and South Korea. We have five companies valued at more than $1 trillion. Here is the list of the wealthiest companies:
1. Saudi Aramco – $2.332 Trillion
- Industry: Energy, Oil, Refining, and Gas
- Products: Petrochemical derivatives, Crude Oil, and Natural Gas
- Revenue-based on the latest report: $341.92 B
- Earnings based on latest data: $208.56 B
Saudi Aramco has a $2.332 Trillion market cap as of May 2022. It is currently the world’s most valuable company based on market capitalization. This Saudi Arabian national petroleum or gas company operates globally as the second-largest proven crude oil company with 270 billion barrel reserves.
In recent years, Saudi Aramco, government-owned, was not on the top of the list. Even if they are also considered one of the largest corporations having around 70,000 employees in its headquarters, it was the first $2 trillion company globally. Also, it is ranking first in the list at present.
Aramco is the largest oil producer globally and has subsidiaries in these countries: USA, UAE, China, Japan, Russia, Great Britain, and many more. It is an excellent support to Saudi Arabia. In addition, it also boosts the economy because its government owns 98.5% of the stocks and market share.
2. Apple Inc. – $2.223 Trillion
- Industry: Information Technology and Electronics
- Products: iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Mac Computers
- Revenue-based on the latest report: $386.01 B
- Earnings based on latest data: $121.71 B
As of May 2022, Apple has a $2.223 Trillion market capitalization and is considered one of the largest companies, with 516 retail stores and around 147,000 employees. Apple Incorporation’s ranking is the second most valuable company globally, following Saudi Aramco in Saudi Arabia, with a $2.332 Trillion.
Apple Inc. was founded by technology wizards: Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Ronald Wayne in 1976. This American company sells consumer electronics such as smartphones, tablets, and computers. Not only that, but Apple also has a platform for music, film, and portals that generate internet sales and develops application software and operating systems.
Apple was first engaged in the sector of personal computer producers, which later grew after its massive victory with its subsidiary companies. This tech giant started with iPhones and Mac laptops and has now diversified into various products like iPod tablets, Smartwatch, Television, and other accessories. Moreover, Apple is the first company publicly traded in the world to achieve a 2 Trillion market cap in 2020. They were able to maintain their standing in the following years after that.
3. Microsoft – $1.893 Trillion
- Industry: Information technology, Software Development, and Consumer electronics
- Products: Microsoft Office, Windows Operating System, Xbox, Laptops, and Search engine
- Revenue-based on the latest news: $192.55 B
- Earnings based on latest data: $84.75 B
Microsoft has a $1.893 Trillion market cap. This company makes this company the world’s third most valuable company. Microsoft is a company in America that develops software and services such as the operating system and cloud solutions.
Bill Gates was the founder of Microsoft in 1975. This company is a pioneer leader in the field of personal computer software.
According to the latest financial reports of Microsoft, the company’s current revenue is $192.55 B.
4. Alphabet (Google) – $1.455 Trillion
- Industry: Internet and Software services
- Products: Search Engine, Operating System, and Mobile Phones
- Revenue-based on the latest news: $270.33 B
- Earnings based on latest data: $88.73 B
Alphabet (Google) has a $1.455 Trillion Market cap. This value makes Alphabet ranking 4th as the most valuable company globally. Alphabet Inc is an American multinational company that is the parent company of Google LLC and other subsidiary companies.
Sergey Brin and Larry Page established this company in 1998 while studying at Stanford University. Also, they have around 135,000 employees. Google Inc. is leading in the search engine segment, and they have a market value of 91.9% as of 2022.
5. Amazon – $1.091 Trillion
- Industry: E-commerce, Internet, Tech, Retail, and Software services
- Products: Kindle, Software, FireTV, and Echo
- Revenue-based on the latest news: $477.74 B
- Earnings based on latest data: $24.50 B
Amazon has a $1.091 Trillion market cap. Amazon ranks 5th in the world’s most valuable companies. Jeff Bezos, the wealthiest person, founded Amazon in 1994 in the comfort of his garage. Amazon Inc. is a virtual retailer with a wide variety of products.
Amazon is the Internet trade’s market leader. It has the largest online selection of books, CDs, and videos. Moreover, private individuals and companies may also offer used or new products on the site to be part of the online trading.
The company was the pioneer in bringing a reader for e-books or electronic books, Amazon Kindle. It also produced Amazon Fire, a tablet computer, FIRE TV-set box, the HDMI Stick, and the Echo speech recognition system. In 2019, Amazon ranked third on the list after Apple and Microsoft. It still maintains its spot in the top 10.
6. Tesla – $734.96 Billion
- Industry: Automobiles, Tech, Autonomous Driving, Electric vehicles, and Energy
- Products: Trucks, Cars, batteries, Solar roofs, and many more.
- Revenue-based on the latest news: $62.19 B
- Earnings based on latest data: $9.76 B
Tesla has a $734.96 Billion market capitalization. This value places Tesla in 6th place as the most valuable company globally. Tesla Incorporation, an American company, produces and sells electric cars and photovoltaic systems, and power storage. The company’s mission is to transition faster to sustainable energy.
This company was named after Nikola Tesla, the physicist whose name was the basis for the company’s name. The company is the largest electric vehicle manufacturer. They also make solar roof tiles, solar panels, and batteries that provide green energy.
Together with 27 companies, Tesla established the Zero Emission Transport Association (ZETA) in 2020 to transform internal combustion engines into electric. Tesla has around 598 retail stores and 70,000 employees in various parts of the world.
7. Berkshire Hathaway – $669.88 Billion
- Industry: Finances, Insurance, Media, Food, Railway transport, and non-food products
- Products: Property and casualty insurance, Diversified Investments
- Revenue-based on the latest news: $353.16 B
- Earnings based on latest data: $108.12 B
Berkshire Hathaway has a $669.88 Billion market cap. It ranks 7th in the ranking of the most valuable corporations. The company is led by a multi-billionaire and major US investor, Warren Buffett. It was a textile manufacturing company in 1839, which is 182 years ago.
Berkshire Hathaway Inc. has a conglomerate that includes over 80 companies in different fields: energy supply, insurance, reinsurance, rail freight, financial services, manufacturing, and retail.
The company has over 360,000 employees. Their stocks are also considered the most expensive stock globally since it is quoting northward of $450,000 per share.
8. Meta (Facebook) – $546.89 Billion
- Industry: Tech and Internet
- Products: Facebook Portal and Messenger
- Revenue-based on the latest news: $120.18 B
- Earnings based on latest data: $43.89 B
Meta Platforms Inc. is the parent institution of the social media giant Facebook. This company has a market cap of $546.89 Billion and is the 8th most valuable company by market cap globally. Facebook or Meta is the most popular social networking site wherein millions of people have created an account.
Meta operates under the leadership of Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook. He created these assets in 2004. They acquired many social platforms such as WhatsApp, Instagram, and Oculus in the past.
The number of employees in the company is around 72,000 worldwide. There are many active monthly users in every country, 2.91 billion. It is effortless to access, and you can log in anytime, and creating an account is such a breeze.
9. Taiwan Semiconductor (TSMC) – $469.06 Billion
- Industry: Semiconductors, Tech, Manufacturing, and Tech Hardware
- Products: Manufacture Integrated circuits, Solar Panels, and other related services
- Revenue-based on the latest news: $53.96 B
- Earnings based on latest data: $23.78 B
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) has a market cap of $469.06 Billion. This value makes TSMC the 9th most valuable company by market cap globally.
TSMC is the third-largest semiconductor manufacturer after Samsung, Intel, and Samsung. They are also considered the world’s largest independent contract producer and manufacturer of semiconductor products.
The company was created in 1987 by Morris Chang and is mainly located in Hsinchu, Taiwan. In addition, TSMC is currently owned by foreign investors and has 56,800 employees handling the industries.
10. Tencent – $461.67 Billion
- Industry: Tech, Internet, Video games, and Esports
- Products: Social networking, instant messaging, mass media, web portals
- Revenue-based on the latest log: $86.61 B
- Earnings based on latest data: $39.67 B
Tencent is a conglomerate tech company, a venture company, and an investment holding that originated in China. This company has a market cap of $586 billion, making Tencent the 10th most valuable company globally.
Tencent Holdings is a vast company in various industries. They handle not only the gaming industry but also other segments where it operates music, mobile games, web portals, Internet services, and e-commerce. This company also provides:
- Messaging services.
- Social networks on the Internet.
- Internet value-added services.
- Multiplayer online games (MMO, MMORPG).
- E-commerce and online advertising.
Being the company behind QQ and WeChat, they generated more than $80 billion of revenue in 2021. Its main headquarters is in Nanshan District, Shenzhen. Tencent has 85,800 employees and more than 700 million active users.
The current condition of each company changes now and then, especially now that we have a global pandemic. However, it is inspiring to see that the following companies thrive even in the most challenging times:
- Saudi Aramco – $2.332 Trillion
- Apple Inc. – $2.223 Trillion
- Microsoft – $1.893 Trillion
- Alphabet (Google) – $1.455 Trillion
- Amazon – $1.091 Trillion
- Tesla – $734.96 Billion
- Berkshire Hathaway – $669.88 Billion
- Meta (Facebook) – $546.89 Billion
- Taiwan Semiconductor (TSMC) – $469.06 Billion
- Tencent – $461.67 Billion
Being included in the ranking is well deserved, for, without the hard work of all the workers in each rich company, there would be no revenue. We will see on the following rankings if other business entities have up their game and beat the others.