How to connect AirPods to PC
Learning how to connect AirPods to PCs is as easy as most people think. They work on devices that didn’t come from the fruity tech firm. You don’t have to go through a lengthy setup, but you might have to learn how to connect to BlueTooth devices. After all, you might be used to the AirPods just connecting instantly.
You may encounter a few issues when linking Apple products with one another. For example, sound may only come out from one earbud, or some static may blare along with your tunes. Fortunately, it’s super easy to resolve these problems. You should be able to connect your AirPods to your Windows PC.
We’ll start with the steps to connect your AirPods to PCs and Mac computers. Then, we’ll go through the troubleshooting tips for BlueTooth earbuds. Rest assured, you’ll be vibing to your AirPods and PC soon! Believe it or not, they may have various problems, but most of them are easy to fix.
AirPods to PC
- Get your AirPods, their charging case, and your PC. Make sure the earbuds and the computer have power.
- Place the AirPods inside the case.
- Then, turn on your PC.
- Open the Start menu.
- Open Settings by clicking the gear-shaped icon. Alternatively, you may also type “settings” in the search box.
- Select “Devices,” and then select “Bluetooth & other devices.”
- Turn your BlueTooth on by sliding the switch to the right. It should be colored blue instead of grey.
- Click “Add Bluetooth or another device.”
- Click Bluetooth in the Add a device window.
- Next, open your AirPod case.
- Press and hold the button behind the case for 8 seconds until it goes into pairing mode. The status light at the front should start blinking white.
- Select your AirPods from the list of devices available for pairing on your computer. You may notice that it’s named Headphones at first, then it changes to AirPods after a while.
- Click AirPods to make your Windows 10 PC connect to them.
- It should display a success message. After that, click Done and start jamming!
AirPods to Mac
Now you know how to connect your AirPods to PC, but how about your Mac? Start by making sure you have the right MacOS version for your type of Apple AirPods:
- 2nd generation AirPods – Mojave 10.14.4 or later
- 3rd generation AirPods – Monterey or later
- AirPods Pro – Catalina 10.15.1 or later
- AirPods Max – Big Sur 11.1 or later
I’ll show you the directions for the regular AirPods first, and then the Max. The latter is a pair of earphones, so it connects to Macs slightly differently.
If your devices are signed in to iCloud under the same Apple ID, then your AirPods might be ready for use already! Try the following steps:
- Put on your AirPods.
- Click the volume control or the Bluetooth menu in its menu bar on your Mac.
- After that, pick your AirPods from the list.
Read More: The Best iPads For Every Purpose
AirPods and AirPods Pro to Mac
Did you see the Bluetooth or volume control menu? If you didn’t, connect your AirPods with your Mac with the following steps:
- Open your Mac, then open System Preferences.
- Open the Apple Menu, click Bluetooth, and ensure it’s active.
- Place both AirPods in their charging case and leave the lid open.
- Press and hold the setup button behind the case until the status light blinks white.
- Choose your AirPods in the list of devices, and then click Connect.
- If your Mac speakers still make sound, click either the volume control or the Bluetooth menu in the menu bar. Make sure to select your AirPods as the output device.
AirPods Max to Mac
Next, let’s go through the instructions for AirPods Max. Note that your macOS version should be Big Sur 11.0 or later. If not, update it first.
- Switch on your Mac, then pick System Preferences and then click Bluetooth.
- Make sure the Bluetooth is turned on.
- Press and hold the noise control button of your AirPods Max until the status light blinks white. It’s the button on top of one of the earmuffs.
- Choose your AirPods Max in the list of devices, and then click Connect.
- Check if the sound still comes out of your Mac speakers. If it still does, click the volume control or the Bluetooth menu to ensure your AirPods Max is the output device.
Common issues with Bluetooth earbuds
You might not be able to connect AirPods to PCs for various reasons. The most common issue is that the audio accessory doesn’t pair. Here’s how you can fix this:
- Check the manual included in your device. You might find issues this article wasn’t able to cover. Windows has a help center available via the Settings app if you still can’t add a device.
- Disconnect other Bluetooth devices because those might disrupt your connection. Aside from earbuds, check for speakers and other Bluetooth accessories.
- Remember to keep your devices charged, or they won’t link via Bluetooth. It’s easy to forget this while you’re enjoying your AirPods!
- Make sure your devices are compatible. I listed the iOS versions you need for each type of AirPods earlier. If you don’t have them, update yours.
You might be able to connect your AirPods to PCs, but there’s something wrong with the sound. Here’s what to do if the audio seems distorted:
- Check the audio source because you might be playing a low-quality jam from the 90s or older. If the recording is distorted, your AirPods will play that distorted sound too.
- Another simple solution is just to connect your AirPods to your PC again. Sometimes, the best fixes are the easiest ones!
- AirPods and other Bluetooth devices work only at a certain range. You may restore the sound quality by getting your Pods closer to your computer.
- Stop any audio processing such as equalizers or noise canceling. You might have activated this feature from another app.
We just talked about how to connect AirPods to PCs. If you still need assistance, visit the Apple Support website for more information. You might want to visit a nearby Apple Store too.
They could also help you if someone took your AirPods. If they’re just missing, just fire up the Find My app already installed in your iPhone to see their last location.
Why not get a new iPhone 13 while you’re there? The latest Apple phone lets you take cinematic videos and photos while on the go!