Combine Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and the Metaverse, and you get the Octi social media platform. It lets you connect with friends and express yourself like never before by posting all sorts of content, and you earn likes and views as you post more and more stuff. Hold on, does this seem like every social network platform we have right now?
Well, what if I told you that your likes and views turn into tokens, similar to cryptocurrencies. Then, you may spend these digital coins on your favorite bag. In other words, you can grind enough top-tier content to get yourself a new pair of sneakers or a new bag. Octi is trying to mix social media and a digital economy to follow the Metaverse trend.
Let’s start by talking about what the Octi social media platform is and how it works. We mentioned that it’s following the recent Metaverse trend, so we’ll also provide more details on this concept. Then, we will go through the other ways it’s forming around you already and talk about how this may affect our lives.
What is Octi?
If you checked the top social media apps on the Apple App Store, you might have noticed an octopus icon is number one. That’s the Octi app that launched on November 17, 2021.
As I said, it works like a mix of Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok. Like the first two, you have a profile where everyone can see your posts and other content.
If you’ve used TikTok, you’ll feel right at home with the short videos in there. You could also add filters, 3D digital objects, or virtual backgrounds.
You also get online clout by receiving likes and follows. Yet, the main difference is in the Octi coins. As you build more clout, you earn these tokens. You could use them in two ways:
- Buy real goodies – The Octi coins let you buy from real brands like Nike, Reebok, and Funko. Are you looking to buy some drip for the holidays? You may pump out quality content on Octi to earn enough Octi coins for a discount.
- Buy digital items – You may also buy digital Funko figures and other digital stuff. Then, you could add them to your next Octi video.
What’s more, you may create those digital goodies yourself and put them on the Octi social media platform. It also lets you upload NFTs there too.
Non-fungible tokens or NFTs are digital media with ownership recorded on a blockchain, the networks behind all cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin (BTC).
NFTs come in various forms, such as art, music, and even tweets! Octi lets you sell your digital creations on its platform to earn more Octi coins.
Soon, people will be able to buy Octi coins, but you can get them for free by joining the platform. At the time of writing, it’s only available on the Apple App Store.
What is the Metaverse?
The metaverse is the next evolution of social connection. It's a collective project that will be created by people all over the world, and open to everyone. You’ll be able to socialize, learn, collaborate and play in ways that go beyond what’s possible today. pic.twitter.com/655yFRm8yZ
— Meta (@Meta) October 28, 2021
Octi co-founder and CEO Justin Fuisz proclaimed that this app is “an exciting version of the metaverse.” But what is the metaverse?
You may have heard Mark Zuckerberg announce that he renamed Facebook as Meta. He said that he needed the rebrand to reflect what the company wants in the long run.
He even posted a video at the start of November 2021 that breaks down what the metaverse is all about. Yet, some may still be confused as to how this works.
The metaverse merges virtual reality with our real world. This will turn those digital locations into somewhere you can enter, like real places.
If you’re still confused about the metaverse, don’t worry. Matthew Ball wrote about the metaverse to help people make sense of it. Here’s how it would look like:
- It’s always online because you can just enter and leave it just like a real place.
- You’ll meet other folks there so that you can enjoy the metaverse together.
- People may do stuff that is separate from each other.
- You may join in group activities too. Think of the recent Ariana Grande concert in Fortnite as an example. Players had their characters vibing to her performance with a bunch of minigames and special effects. Imagine that, but instead of your avatar, it’s you!
- You and everyone in the Metaverse will be able to add to that world. You can create digital items that you can share, buy, and sell with others—the Octi social media platform launched with this feature in mind.
Read More: How The Metaverse Will Change The Workplace
Other metaverse trends
“We’re not advertiser supported so we don’t need to monetize you and your data in the same way,” @Octi_App Founder and CEO Justin Fuisz says on metaverse privacy concerns. “I can just show you seven great things… we had a great interaction and I haven’t had to share anything.” pic.twitter.com/1wWfIkF9dJ
— Yahoo Finance (@YahooFinance) November 18, 2021
The metaverse may seem silly or out-of-this-world, but it’s already forming all around you. For example, you’re probably reading this on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop.
These devices likely play an important role in your life right now. For example, the smartphone may contain investment apps that let you handle stocks and other assets on the go.
Your laptop or PC may contain games with cutting-edge graphics that become more realistic as time passes. You might even have VR glasses to immerse in them too full.
Did you notice how much tech is connecting deeper into our lives? It’s only a matter of time until the metaverse becomes a thing. Check out these other metaverse trends:
- Haptic Gloves – Meta is making a glove that lets you feel VR objects. This could make moving in the metaverse feel more natural than the controllers from VR headsets.
- Digital real estate – Have you ever looked at your home in Minecraft and thought about selling it? Platforms like Decentraland let you do just that!
- Ultra-realistic NFTs – Metahero wants to help you bring your body into this VR world. It’s placing scanners around the world that will let you do this in seconds.
- NFT games – People are playing video games like Axie Infinity to make money nowadays. A lot more people are playing it nowadays, and it will have even more soon. BKCoin Capital hedge fund founder Carlos Betancourt wants to help Venezuelans make ends meet with this game.
The metaverse is coming, and the Octi social media platform is just one of the many who realize this. In response, you must learn more about how it works.
It will change how things work around you soon. Knowing how these will happen will allow you to adapt. Even better, they may help you make your life better in one way or another.
You could start by reading more Inquirer USA articles. These will show you the other trends happening right now, so you can adapt.