Why the metaverse workplace could change the future of work
You’ve seen remote work, now let’s see where it could go next: the metaverse workplace! Technology is going full speed ahead lately with the recent cryptocurrency trend. Now, it’s taking us and our offices to the Metaverse!
Let’s start with a quick rundown of what the Metaverse is. Then, let’s see what it may look like if we apply it to offices around the world. More importantly, we will go through the potential benefits and risks that may come from this.
You may think that the idea of a “metaverse workplace” is silly. Yet, this was how people saw bitcoin, and now it’s one of the most popular assets in the world. Looking at novel concepts like this could provide a peek into how the future may look like.
What is the Metaverse?
If you’ve ever watched “Ready Player One” or “The Matrix”, you may remember their virtual worlds. Then, you see environments and abilities that defy the real world.
This idea goes farther back though. In 1992, the word “Metaverse” first appeared in Neal Stephenson’s story “Snow Crash”. Now, we’re exploring how to make it happen in real life.
In a nutshell, the Metaverse is this merging between reality and virtual spaces. When you look deeper, you might have more questions than answers!
That’s understandable, though. We’ve only seen this idea in sci-fi stories. Making it happen outside the big screen is tougher. Fortunately, Matthew Ball explored how it may look like:
- Always online – The Metaverse doesn’t “shut down” or “turn off”. Instead, it just keeps on running 24 hours a day. This makes it similar to how you can enter and exit your room at any time.
- Shared experience – In the real world, people may experience things together. For example, everyone in your neighborhood gets to see the sunrise at the same time. Similar events also happen in the Metaverse.
- Separate activities – People in that world will be able to do different things. For example, some might be walking around while others might just be standing still.
- Mixed reality – Users may join events that involve both the real and virtual worlds.
- Shared online space – The Metaverse will be made up of different platforms that work with each other. Let’s use video games as examples. The Metaverse should let you bring items from Epic Games’ Fortnite to Mojang’s Minecraft.
- User-generated content – People won’t just be looking around this space. They would also be able to create stuff. In turn, they get a much deeper shared experience.
What is a metaverse workplace?
Now, we’re ready to explain how this idea may apply to offices. This started in an earnings call with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.
That’s when the social media leader said he wanted to turn Facebook into a “metaverse company”. He even showed us a sample of what it might look like in August.
That’s when he launched the beta version of his new VR app. He called it Horizon Workrooms. He had guests attend a virtual meeting while wearing VR headsets.
Introducing Horizon Workrooms on @Oculus Quest 2: your new virtual meeting room to sketch ✍️, brainstorm💡 and collaborate with your team 🤝 — no matter where you are. We think it’s one of the best ways to work if you can’t be physically in the same room. pic.twitter.com/YcbYKtzUGj
— Facebook (@Facebook) August 19, 2021
It worked like Zoom but you meet people in a virtual space. Unfortunately, reviewers found it boring. Some said the VR app didn’t add anything useful.
Still, this isn’t the end for the metaverse workplace. Attempts to turn this into reality continue until now. That’s why people are looking at its potential benefits and risks.
What are the possibilities?
Logging into a virtual world to enter the workplace may seem like a silly movie plot. Yet, some people see that it may allow us to do more with our jobs.
- Work in unusual places – Have you ever wanted to work in another country? A metaverse workplace will let you do that! Your company may place its VR office anywhere on Earth. In turn, you won’t have to be stuck in a cubicle anymore!
- Save on other expenses – Most people spend money to earn more at work. They have to pay for gas or commutes. Some have to buy work clothes or uniforms depending on their company. If you get this type of workplace, you don’t need to do these anymore.
- Creativity – Some companies are against the remote work trend. They say it prevents their workers from sharing ideas to make creative ones. This new type of office may solve this issue for remote work.
- Better remote work – Those working from home will have more options due to this type of workplace. It will let them perform roles that were only possible in a real-life office.
- Changes in various fields – Let’s take real estate for example. Instead of showing catalogs, a real estate agent may simply take their client on a virtual tour. This allows the buyer to see how it’s like inside the home without heading there.
Read More: What Is The Metaverse?
What are potential issues with a metaverse workplace?
We said that Zuckerberg’s Horizon Workrooms app got bad reviews. This shows that this concept still has some flaws. Let’s take a closer look:
- Too much big tech – A metaverse should be for everyone. It shouldn’t be controlled by just one company. Yet, large tech firms want to do just that. They could place limits on this new world and the people in it.
- It’s expensive – You need certain devices to enter a metaverse workplace. For example, you will need Oculus VR headsets or similar headgear. However, the latest Oculus Quest 2 costs $299. This is on top of the powerful PCs and other tools you will need.
- Sometimes a hassle – A lot of people still cannot stand VR. Some say they get dizziness or headaches after using the headsets. Recently, people reported skin irritation from the Oculus Quest 2’s foam lining. That’s why the US issued a recall.
- Limited tech – We said the metaverse mixes the virtual and real world. The closest we have today is augmented reality (AR). For example, Pokémon GO uses AR so you can find and catch cute creatures in your neighborhood. It still looks awkward though.
We might not see the metaverse workplace within the next few years. Whether you like it or not, you should still see how it’s going. Such trends let you know about how your world changes.
Take the recent crypto trend. You may not like bitcoin, but it caused various countries to make digital currencies. This means you may have to say goodbye to bills and coins soon.
Fortunately, the internet lets you know about these trends for free. Or just check other articles on Inquirer USA. Learn more about the latest in tech and finance today!
Learn more about the metaverse workplace
Is the future of the Internet in the metaverse?
We may see the internet merge with the real world soon. It’s not such a strange idea since you already see it happen in various ways. For example, AR games like Pokémon GO let you find and catch virtual pets in the real world. We may have to wait more years before we make this idea come true.
What is an example of virtual reality?
Nowadays, a lot of video games use VR. For example, Second Life lets you make a character and move around in the game using its body. You may also see it in various industries. For instance, some real estate companies let buyers take a virtual tour of a home before making a purchase.
What will virtual reality be like in the future?
We may see it mix with real life soon. This means VR might become something people may enter and tour around. This would let people enter the virtual space and join in various activities. It’s not such a far-off idea since Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said he wanted to make the Metaverse a real thing.