Out of all the marketing tools right now, the best SMS apps for small businesses are probably the last thing you’ve thought about. After all, who still uses text messaging apps nowadays, right? Yet, SMS/MMS messages still prove to be an effective marketing tool despite newer methods like social media. That’s why you should consider adding it to your marketing strategy.
It can be difficult to pick one because there are simply so many choices. Google searches will yield thousands of results, but they’re mostly SMS apps for Android like SMS Organizer, Pulse SMS, and Chomp SMS. They may have nifty features like material design and night mode, but they’re simply not enough. Fortunately, we’ll show you the best ones later!
Before we share our picks for the best SMS apps for small businesses, we must elaborate on why you need SMS marketing. Then, we’ll go through the features your SMS app should have. We will then go through our recommendations. This alone won’t be enough for your marketing campaign so that we will show the other methods you’ll need.
Why use SMS for marketing?
Nowadays, companies use digital marketing more often because people spend more time on the internet. That’s why it’s more effective than the offline methods.
Yet, this doesn’t mean you should get rid of them entirely. A good marketing strategy uses every method that could drive it closer to its goal.
If your campaign isn’t performing well lately, SMS marketing may help. Here are the reasons why you should consider this strategy for your business:
- Fast delivery – You can send a text blast to hundreds of people within seconds.
- Quick results – An app can also track metrics for SMS marketing, and it can be as fast as analytics for other media. You’ll need one of the best SMS apps for businesses to get the best results.
- Global reach – Many areas worldwide still can’t connect to the internet, but they still can receive text messages.
- Precise – You can assign specific messages for each target demographic.
- Customer insights – A great SMS app can provide data for each target audience, so you can see how you’re doing with each segment. You can adjust your messages depending on your performance with each demographic.
- Cost-effective – It’s the cheapest traditional marketing method.
- Supports your other channels – Text messaging can boost your other marketing strategies. Let’s say people aren’t checking your emails. Your messages may remind them to check your emails, so you may see more people opening them.
- Better than email – SMS is the best way to send a message that’s too short for an email. What’s more, people read 97% of text messages within 15 minutes. On the other hand, people often delete emails without reading them or set them aside as spam.
4 of the best SMS apps for small businesses
You can’t just use any app for SMS marketing because it must have certain features. Here are the ones your SMS app should have:
- Easy-to-use – The app shouldn’t require a lot of know-how to operate, and you can’t spend too much time learning how it works or fumbling with the controls.
- Affordable – Expect to pay if you need the best services. However, it shouldn’t take a large chunk of your monthly business expenses.
- Scalable – Your SMS app should grow along with your brand, and this means it should provide more features to meet your business’s growing demands.
- Works with other apps – You’re probably using other small business tools so that the SMS app should fit seamlessly with that toolbox. In other words, it should be able to send and receive data to your other digital marketing tools.
It’s easy to find apps for sending iOS and Android messages. Your Android phone likely uses Google Messages as its default SMS app, and you probably installed Facebook Messenger.
These apps can host group chats, set up a quick reply, and schedule messages. However, the best SMS apps for small businesses can do so much more:
- ActiveCampaign – Overall best SMS app for small businesses
- Salesmsg – For quick use
- SimpleTexting – For easy campaign management
- EZ Texting – For folks who aren’t tech-savvy
#1. ActiveCampaign – Overall best SMS app for small businesses
Let’s start with G2’s best pick for business texting apps. ActiveCampaign helped over 130,000 businesses across 170 countries because it’s more than just an SMS app!
It’s a platform that combines CRM, email marketing, and marketing automation to improve every part of your digital marketing. Let’s focus on its SMS marketing features:
- Scheduled quick reply
- Easily import your old contacts or manually include them
- Sends messages for appointments
- Messages event attendees
- Delivers coupon codes and confirmations
- Notifies about flash sales
Major firms like Microsoft and Facebook use ActiveCampaign too. Yet, you don’t have to own a billion-dollar company to use ActiveCampaign, and small businesses can use the Lite tier at $6.75.
#2. Salesmsg – For quick use
Perhaps you want an SMS app that’s easy to use, an option with only the features you need. If that’s the case, then Salesmsg has you covered!
It’s one of the most basic options in this list because it only has four tabs on its sidebar: Broadcasts, Contacts, Conversions, and Triggers.
Salesmsg is best when you use it with other apps. Once you sign up, it will ask you to create a local number. You’ll use that to send texts, and you can assign a number to your sales staff.
What’s more, it can help you handle appointments from Google Calendar and Outlook. Once you receive one, click Book Appointment on Salesmsg to add that to your schedule.
Small business owners may start at $35 a month for the Pro package that includes the following features:
- 750 Text Messages
- Unlimited Contacts
- Unlimited App Integrations
- Call Recording
- MMS Picture Texting
- Shared Inboxes for Teams
If that’s not enough, you can add other features using the Custom plan. As the name suggests, it’s a highly customizable package, so your monthly payment depends on your chosen features.
#3. SimpleTexting – For easy campaign management
Do you need to launch your SMS marketing as quickly as possible? Then, SimpleTexting might just be the best SMS app for you. Here’s just how quick it is to start:
- Open the Campaigns tab
- Select New Campaign.
- Give that a name.
- Start texting your customers!
As we said, you also need to see how your campaign is doing. That’s why SimpleTexting has some of the most detailed yet simple analytics thanks to these features:
- Tiny Links – Make every word count by shortening your longest URLs, then sending them to websites, videos, or other apps.
- Link Tracking – SimpleTexting shows your metrics with clean and simple charts, grids, and graphs. Also, the app shows you how often those tiny links got clicked.
SimpleTexting’s most affordable plan is $25 per month or $18.75 per year. It lets you send 500 messages within that duration and includes the following:
- Free incoming text messages
- Unlimited contacts
- One free number just for you
- Weekly support
- 5 user seats
#4. EZ Texting – For folks who aren’t tech-savvy
If you’re not used to these tools, don’t worry. EZ texting allows you to add SMS marketing to your campaign even if you’re not fond of using gadgets.
Once you sign up, EZ texting will present you with three options: Delight Customers, Simplify Operations, and Market & Engage. Select the one that matches what you want to do.
Afterward, it will guide you through the features based on your choice. It will also ask you to send a message yourself using EZ Texting so that you can get the hang of it.
Go over a new tab or feature, and EZ Texting will show instructions on using it. Despite being simple to use, the app doesn’t lack features.
The most affordable plan starts at $24 a month or $19 a month and provides the following features:
- One number that sends and receives text messages
- Unlimited contacts and groups
- Unlimited 1:1 texting
- SMS texts with up to 160 characters
- Integration with other apps
- Dedicated shortcodes
What’s more, you may pay $25 every month for a new number and the same monthly amount for another keyword.
If these options do not suit your needs, you may find others on the internet. Read the features carefully to be sure of what you’re getting, such as in-app purchases.
Unfortunately, even the best SMS app for small businesses isn’t enough. Your campaign needs more than one strategy to beat the competition.
Fortunately, LeadAdvisors can handle your digital marketing needs, from social media marketing to lead generation. Click here for more details.