How to make french toast in these easy steps
You are beginning to get tired of making the same breakfast every day. You do not know how to make french toast in these easy steps. However, you are tired of eggs, bacon, toast, or a combination of these, why not try something new? You could always try to make french toast.
French toast can be made in a few easy steps. If you want to spice up breakfast for a change, we have a how-to make french toast in these easy steps.
Here are a few easy french toast recipes. French toast has never been this easy before.
How do you make French toast from scratch?
Making french toast from scratch is not very difficult. Here is a classic french toast from scratch recipe.
French Toast Bread
- 5 tsp instant or active dry yeast (2 pkg)
- 1 cup (8 oz, 267 g) warm water
- ½ cup (4 oz, 113 g) sugar
- Three large eggs
- 4 ½ – 5 cups (22 ½ – 25 oz, 638 – 708 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (2 oz, 57 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- If you use active dry yeast, dissolve the yeast in the warm water, and it stands until foamy.
- Remember to have yourself using a wooden spoon to stir in the sugar, eggs, 4 ½ cups of flour to start, salt, and butter.
- Mix until a rough dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, working in only as much flour as needed. Please resist the urge to add more flour because it will result in dry, tough bread.
- Knead the dough for about 7-10 minutes or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Form the dough into a ball and transfer it stands to a lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm spot until it doubles in bulk, about 1 ½-2 hours.
- Shape the bread into one large loaf or two smaller loaves and place them in well-greased loaf pans.
- Then cover the loaves with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let them rise in a warm spot for 45-60 minutes or until they roughly double in size and crest over the edge of the pan by about 1 inch.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees about 45 minutes before baking.
- Bake the loaves until they are a deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Let the loaves cool almost completely. For thick slices of bread, you want to cut the pieces differently.
- Once you have made the bread for french toast, the next part is to make the mix for the toast.
If you prefer not to make homemade bread, you can use any variety of sandwich bread that you like. This is an easy french toast recipe without making the bread.
For the best bread for french toast, try thicker bread. There are several different pieces of bread that we prefer. We like Sally Lunn bread, Sourdough bread, Challah bread, Texas Toast, French bread, or sandwich bread.
Related Article: How Long do Hard Boiled Eggs Last?
Quick and Easy French Toast
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Course: Breakfast
- Calories: 225kcal
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fat: 5g
- Sodium: 307mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 10g
- This makes 4 Servings.
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar, honey, or maple syrup
- One teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of milk, half and half, coconut milk, or almond milk
- 8 bread slices
- Mix in a pie plate or baking dish two large eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Stir in milk.
- Dip bread in the mixture, make sure each side is evenly covered. Do this one at a time.
- Cook the bread slices on a lightly greased nonstick skillet on medium heat on both sides until golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup.
- If you want to add powdered sugar or cinnamon to flavor, it’s up to you.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet or a shallow dish.
Why is my french toast soggy in the middle?
If you keep making french toast that ends up soggy in the middle, you may have a few problems with the mixture itself.
The main issue is more than likely because you have not cooked the bread through. When this happens, the bread is still moist and has not been cooked all the way. There will be soggy edges as well.
There are four other reasons why the bread can be soggy. It could be that you are soaking the bread too much. If french toast is soggy, that means the bread will be too.
You could be using inadequate bread. If the bread is too thin, it will be soggy every time. Do not use plain white toast. This toast is thin, flimsy, airy, and there is not enough crust for the mixture.
You may have added too much milk to the mixture. Many people have this problem with french toast. Making sure the measurements are equal parts will keep it from being soggy.
The last reason why your french toast could be soggy is that you have cooked not cooked the bread long enough.
Make sure when you put the toast on the grill that you put a single layer of the mixture on each side of the bread, then flip it and repeat on the other side.
Why do you put milk in French toast?
Milk is used in most french toast recipes. Milk adds moisture, but it also gives french toast some fat and some sugar. It gives the french toast proteins as well.
The sugar and proteins will have a reaction when they are heated in a pan. When this reaction occurs, there are delicious flavors and smells added to the french toast.
If you use water in your recipe, this reaction will not happen. The bread will have a different flavor if you use water.
What is the ratio of eggs to milk for French toast?
Eggs and milk are the main two ingredients in these recipes. They give the custard base a richness. However, if the ratio is off, disaster can happen.
If your eggs to milk ratio are off, your french toast can taste like undercooked soggy bread with scrambled eggs.
The rule of thumb is to use a quarter cup of milk and one egg per two slices of bread.
If you are tired of eating the same breakfast every day and want to branch out, it may be a new dish you want to start cooking.
French toast is very easy to make, and it does not take a lot of time to cook. Not only is it delicious, but it also changes up your everyday routine of boring breakfast foods.
It can be made very easily, and you can add ingredients to it as well. If you want to make homemade bread instead of buying bread, that is another option as well.
When making french toast, there is one thing always to remember, make sure the bread that you get is thicker than flimsy sandwich bread.