How To Finding Your CBD Dose
Finding Your Proper CBD Dosage
The internet of weed has enough data on the benefits of CBD and its significant components CBD and the effects of THC. However, people seldom discuss how to use CBD oil. Being a newly approved substance by the Food and Drug Administration, medical scientists and practitioners released a study suggesting that CBD will help you on the short and long term. Since the FDA approved hemp products, medical marijuana and legally have cannabis plants in your home. The United States it’s just starting to develop a more empirical dosing standard for CBD products from cannabidiol CBD with no psychoactive effects.
Pending the outcome of their research and CBD rich benefit investigation, we’ll base our guide on three main factors:
- Nature of ailment
- Route of administration
- Given that there’s no generally-accepted proper dosage for CBD oil, this guide should not be considered as a piece of medical advice, but instead as an informational guide.
How to Use CBD Oil – Nature of Ailment
Day by day, food and drug agencies are discovering more benefits of CBD, and the list of medical conditions treated by CBD oil is growing with time.
The amount of CBD dose needed to cure sleep disorders is different from that of chronic pain. Therefore, each medical condition has a specific dose.
The following list from Mayo Clinic shows the required dosage recommendations for several health issues treated by CBD oil:
- Severe pain: 2.5mg-20mg
- Loss of Appetite in Cancer Patients: 1mg of CBD in six weeks.
- Epilepsy p: 200mg-300mg daily (should be taken orally)
- Movement difficulties as a result of Huntington’s Disease: Take 10mg of CBD per kg of body mass per day (should be taken orally)
- Sleep disorders: 40mg-160mg of CBD (should be taken orally)
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS): 2.5mg-120mg of CBD and THC sprays per day until the symptoms stop.
- Schizophrenia: 40mg-1280mg CBD per day (should be taken orally).
- Glaucoma: Take a sublingual CBD dose of 20mg-40mg (taking beyond 40mg at once is considered an overdose because it increases eye pressure)
Learn how to use CBD oil for anxiety here.
How to Use CBD Oil – Genetics
People with CNR1 gene mutations have a poorly functioning endocannabinoid system, which is a major factor to consider when analyzing CBD oil usage.
The CNR1 gene is a protein-coding gene that acts on one or two cannabinoid receptors like CB1(which is present in all cells that interact with cannabinoids in the human body).
In plain language, there are some complications in some people’s genetic make-up that lowers or increases the way their body utilizes CBD oil.
For more details on how to use CBD oil drops for gene mutation patients, visit your doctor.
How to Use CBD Oil – Route of Administration
While oral administration is the most convenient and common route of administration, intravenous injections work best. Though each route of administration has its dosage unit, there’s a way of equating the amount of the major ingredient (in this case, CBD oil) present. In this guide, we’ll limit our list to three routes, namely;
- Ingestibles: these are forms of CBD oil that can be chewed or swallowed. For instance, CBD tinctures or CBD drops Rick Simpson Oil (RSO), CBD capsules, Phyto cannabinoid-rich sprays, Bottled water containing nano-sized CBD particles, CBD chewing gum, and OTG dissolvable powders (containing apoptogenic herbs and CBD), among others. This list is incomplete without CBD-infused edibles such as cookies, coconut oil, olive oil, and brownies.
- Smokables: This is a great option for those who prefer smoking to other routes of administration. Examples are vape cartridges or e-cigarettes, crystalline isolates, and wax.
- Topicals: This is a term used for drugs that are applied to the skin layer. For instance, CBD Transdermal patches, Cannabidiol-infused balms or lotions, and bath bombs containing CBD.
Looking for a CBD oil seller near you? Buy CBD oil
How to Calculate the Proper Dosage of CBD Oil
Like we said earlier, the empirical formula for calculating CBD oil dosage is still under investigation. However, we’ve compiled two methods that you can use regardless of your mathematical background.
Here are the two methods used in calculating the proper dosage of CBD oil:
- According to cbdoilreview.org, the standard for CBD oil is 25mg (two doses per day). The COR standard is a product of an extensive analysis of hundreds of CBD products.
- You are able to increase the amount of CBD oil intake by 25mg every 4 weeks until you’re relieved. But if the symptoms worsen, reduce it by 25mg.
- Note: if you observe that your medical condition is worsening on using CBD oil, please consult medical practitioners.
Trial and Error
- Since genetics affect the effectiveness of CBD oil, what works for patient A might not work for patient B. Some people have to take higher or lower CBD dosages before attaining the same result as others. The ‘trial and error’ method allows you to start with the COR standard and regulate your CBD dosage with respect to changes in symptom relief.
- Note: There is no known lethal dosage of CBD. However, studies show that humans can tolerate around 750mg of CBD.
Calculate the proper CBD oil dosage with the CBD oil dosage calculator
- Before you consume CBD products, it’s necessary to consider its side effects. Though these side effects only occur in the worst-case scenarios, it is wise to speak with a medical professional regarding CBD usage.
- Dry mouth: Anytime you use CBD oil, in any form, your endocannabinoid system inhibits the secretion of saliva, which causes your mouth to go dry. Before, during, and after using CBD you should drink water or juice. Over the course of using CBD oil, you have to increase your water intake.
- Decreased Blood Pressure: Research shows that higher doses of CBD oil cause a mild decrease in blood pressure. So, consuming CBD-infused drugs is a bad idea for those with low blood pressure.
- Sedation: CBD products have a sedating effect on some consumers, and induce a wakeful state in others. Here, genetics plays a vital role. If CBD makes you drowsy, ensure you’re not driving or operating heavy machinery while using the substance.
- Light-headedness: As mentioned earlier, CBD is linked to low blood pressure, which causes light-headedness. To recover from this state, drink a caffeinated beverage.
- Reduced activity of T and B Cells: High dosages of CBD oil have been linked with reduced T and B Cells. T cells fight virus-infected cells, and B Cells synthesize antibodies, both of which strengthen the body’s immunity. The reduction in T and B Cells would lower your body immunity and make you susceptible to diseases.
- Decreased Fertility: Though CBD improves fertility by reducing stress, CBD overdose can have a reverse effect. Like smoking, taking too much of CBD cells can reduce fertility in males and females. However, those affected may recover within a year of quitting.
- Reduced p-Glycoprotein activity: p-Glycoprotein is known for conferring multiple drug resistance by ejecting a vast array of anti-cancer agents. Extremely large amounts of CBD causes the p-Glycoprotein activity to decrease.
- Reduced activity of Cytochrome P450 (CYP450) Enzyme: Studies show that cytochrome p450 enzymes metabolize CBD while acting as a competitive inhibitor. CBD then occupies the site of enzymatic activity and stops cytochrome P450 from performing its functions.
Want to know if CBD works for your illness? Click to see the uses of CBD oil.
How to Use CBD Oil – Final Thoughts
CBD oil is a useful chemical compound with many undiscovered benefits. However, every good thing has its side effects when abused. Apply the methods presented in this guide, and better still, contact your physician for more information. We hope you’ve learned how to use CBD oil.
Click here to see the best CBD oil product.
Published April 24, 2019; UPDATED May 16, 2019.