How to make homemade ice cream
With the hot weather in full force in many states are feeling the heat. So when it gets hot outside, you want to grab a cold treat when it is unbearable.
Believe it or not, ice cream is a great cold treat that can cool you off on a summer day. If you do not want to go to the grocery store, getting the items you need to make homemade ice cream is a piece of cake.
Once you learn how to make a homemade ice cream recipe, you can make any ice cream flavors that you want.
Your ice cream will be nice and silky and can be used as a base for another ice cream. The ice cream base will be thick yet not too sticky.
A Perfect Time for Ice Cream
Since it is so hot and waiting in the lines for ice cream sandwiches or ice cream, in general, may take quite some time. However, we have the perfect recipe for our ice cream and our team.
In the meantime, making your homemade vanilla ice cream will be fun too. Any flavor of churned ice cream can be made and taste delicious, rich, and creamy too.
How do you make homemade ice cream from scratch?
Making your homemade ice cream does not take much to do. We have the best tips to keep in mind for making a homemade ice cream recipe.
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅔ cup of sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Six large egg yolks
- Vanilla Extract
- Your choice of flavors (If you want to add peanut butter cups, cookies, sprinkle, it is up to you)
- You want to grab a small pot. You will simmer the heavy cream, milk, sugar, and salt until the sugar dissolves totally and on medium heat. Remove the pot from the heat. In a separate bowl, you will need to whisk constantly. First, the hot cream we have mentioned before. Next, you will slowly whisk about one-third of the hot cream into yolks, then return the pot to medium-low heat and gently cook until the cream mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Cool the mixture to room temperature—cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight. Churn in an ice cream machine according to manufacturers’ instructions.
- Serve directly from the ice cream machine for soft serve, or store in the freezer until needed.
For a Custard Base Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook: 5 minutes
- Additional Time: 3 hours and 20 minutes
- Serving: 4
- Yield: 1 quart
- 5 Large Egg Yolks
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- One pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 ½ teaspoons of pure vanilla extract (vanilla bean optional)
- 1 Split vanilla bean is about 2 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a bowl until the mixture goes from dark golden to pale yellow and becomes fluffy.
- Heat the milk and cream in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally to keep from sticking to the pan.
- Cook until the mixture starts to simmer when little bubbles begin to appear on the surface, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk a ladleful of milk-cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Add another ladleful and whisk thoroughly before adding the next.
- Gradually add the remaining milk-cream mixture and whisk. Whisk in the vanilla.
- Cool Completely.
- Pour cooled mixture into a pitcher: cover. Refrigerate until ice cold or overnight.
- Pour custard mixture into ice cream maker and process until the custard reaches the consistency of soft ice cream. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Transfer quickly to a plastic bowl or container. Put a piece of plastic over the top of the custard. Then cover the container and put it in the freezer until the custard is firm, and you can scoop it—about 3 hours.
What ingredient makes ice cream creamy?
Getting a creamy texture with ice cream is easy to do. If you did not know, the dairy you put into the ice cream gives it a smooth texture. Also, the heavy whipping cream gives your ice cream more body.
If you do not want to overdo the smoothness of the ice cream, we suggest using a low-fat dairy cream or half and half. Skim milk will foam up better than whole milk. Milk always makes it smooth, but it’s good to have a nice balance.
You can use condensed, powdered, or evaporated milk in moderation. Lactose is a key ingredient in these kinds of milk. Lactose lowers the freezing point of the ice cream mixtures.
This means that the ice cream mixture will stay liquid at the freezing temp and your ice cream will be much softer. However, if there is too much, your ice cream will taste sandy.
Eggs also help to make your ice cream silky smooth. Sugar and alcohol make the ice cream softer as well due to the low freezing point.
Another helpful hint when making ice cream is to chill the ice cream mixture for 4 to 12 hours before making the finished product.
Is it cheaper to make your ice cream than going out?
Suppose you think about what it costs to buy an ice cream maker and compare it to what ice cream costs by the pint. You will factor this in with your ingredients as well.
The average pint of ice cream is about $4. Honestly, it may save you money in the long run, but in comparison to one pint of ice cream, it is cheaper to get it from the store. If it’s a year, then you will save money overall.
Now that you know how to make a homemade ice cream recipe, you can make pints of your delicious ice cream at home. Homemade ice cream simply tastes better than store-bought.
Making your ice cream can be fun, and the result is yummy too.