LOOK: Brazo de Mercedes recipe from the Goldilocks Bakebook
Brazo de Mercedes
Egg Whites – Egg whites of 7 large eggs
Cream of Tartar – ½ cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Cornstarch – 1 Tbsp
Confectioners’ Sugar – ¼ cup
Brazo de Mercedes Filling – 2 ¼ cups
Preheat oven to 350° F
- Lightly brush a 12” x 16” x 1” sheet pan with vegetable oil then line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pour egg whites, cream of tartar and cornstarch in a mixing bowl with wire whip attachment. Mix for 30 seconds at low speed to blend ingredients.
- Switch mixer to high speed and beat egg whites. Gradually add the sugar in a steady stream and continue beating for 4 minutes, or until medium peaks are formed.
- Pour meringue onto prepared sheet pan and spread evenly. With a decorator’s comb, level off the meringue, to create a wavy design.
- Bake the meringue in the center of the oven for 28 to 30 minutes.
- Once the meringue is baked, remove from pan and transfer immediately over a piece of cheesecloth that has been dusted generously with confectioner’s sugar. Ensure that the portion of the meringue with the wavy design lies on the cheesecloth.
- Spread 1 ½ cups of Brazo De Mercedes filling onto the bottom half of the meringue and roll the meringue. Arrange it on a plate and cover both ends with the remaining Brazo De Mercedes filling.
Brazo de Mercedes filling recipe:
Ingredients – Measurements:
Condensed Milk – 1 cup
Evaporated Milk – ¼ cup
Egg Yolks – Egg yolks of 5 large eggs
Lemon Rind – 1/8 tsp
Salted Butter – 2 tbsp
- Combine condensed milk, evaporated milk, egg yolks and lemon rind in the upper pan of a double boiler. Whisk together to blend the ingredients.
- Place the pan on the lower pot of the double boiler filled halfway with water and set over medium fire.
- Cook the filling until it attains medium consistency. Add the butter and stir until it melts and blends into the filling.
- Transfer the filling to another bowl and allow to cool over a bowl of cold water.