Filipino store clerk’s killer must serve 25 years before he can apply for parole

/ 11:59 PM September 16, 2019

Edmonton, Canada robbery-murder victim Ricky Cenabre was financially supporting his family in the Philippines.

EDMONTON, Alberta — A man convicted of first-degree murder in the 2015 shooting deaths of a Filipino and an East Asian convenience store clerks won’t be able to apply for parole before serving at least 25 years in prison.

Court of Queen’s Bench Associate Chief Justice Ken Nielsen told convicted murderer Colton Steinhauer, 30, Friday that the possibility of parole for him is in the distant future.

ADVERTISEMENT

A jury found Steinhauer guilty last May of two counts of first-degree murder for the Dec. 18, 2015, deaths of Ricky Cenabre and Karanpal Bhangu.

The two were shot dead after Steinhauer and two other people robbed a pair of Mac’s convenience stores. Steinhauer’s was the last of the three cases to make its way through the legal system, according to the Edmonton Journal.

FEATURED STORIES

Ricky Cenabre’s murderer cannot apply for parole until he has served 25 years of his life term. TWITTER

Steinhauser’s co-accused Laylin Delorme, was also convicted of two counts of first-degree murder and also received a 25-year parole ineligibility period. A teenage boy was also convicted of two counts of manslaughter in the killings last year.

Judge Nielsen called Cenabre’s and Bhangu’s deaths “absolutely gratuitous and senseless.”

Steinhauer, Delorme and the youth came to the first store wearing masks, armed with a gun and a machete. Delorme shot Bhangu after robbing him, taking cash and cigarettes. After that, they drove to Cenabre’s 61 Avenue store, where Steinhauer robbed Cenabre and then shot him as he hid behind the counter.

Nielsen said the fact both clerks were shot at the end of the robberies was an aggravating factor in sentencing. He also noted both were working alone and did not resist.

Cenabre, 41, immigrated from the Philippines to give his family a better life. He sent almost $2,500 to the family each month and was their main breadwinner, his wife wrote in her victim impact statement.

His murder threw the family’s life into chaos.

After Cenabre death, members of his family came to Canada on tourist visas granted for the duration of the legal process. Cenabre had applied to bring his family to Canada, but his application was voided when he died.

ADVERTISEMENT

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments
TAGS: murdered Mac’s store clerks, parole application, Ricky Cenabre, robbery-murder, sentencing
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.