YouTube TV review – Is it worth it?
Folks who want a new streaming service usually encounter a YouTube TV review. After all, YouTube is arguably the biggest online video platform globally. With its billions of users, you’re bound to come across recommendations about its streaming features.
Binge-watching became more common after people spent months indoors due to COVID. YouTube won’t let itself be left out, so you can now try its new streaming service. Fortunately, this article will help you decide whether or not to use YouTube TV.
First, let’s talk about more details about YouTube TV, such as its channel lineups and other features. Then, we will go through the steps to create a new account. Later, I will share a few suggestions on choosing the right streaming service.
What is YouTube TV?
YouTube now has an answer to cable TV. Many people watch videos on it, so it might as well replace household TVs. That’s why we now have Youtube TV.
You may already know how it works if you have accounts on other streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime. Otherwise, you have to download the app on your phone or smart TV.
After that, create an account and choose a payment plan. At the time of writing, the base price was $64.99 a month. Yet, the limited promo means your first three months will only cost $54.99.
YouTube TV offers the following features for its basic plan:
- Has NBA, NFL, and MLB networks
- Also has BET, PBS, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, and MTV
- Unlimited DVR cloud storage space with fast forward, rewind, and pause options
- Allows six accounts per household and three streams at the same time
You may also avail yourself of the Hulu + Live TV plan for $79.98. Here’s what you get when you subscribe:
- The advertised price of $69.99
- Option to add 200 total hour cloud DVR with a full-fast forward option for an extra $9.99.
- Allows six accounts per household with two streams running at the same time
Additional features of YouTube TV
Despite being the biggest video platform, YouTube will not let itself be left behind by competitors. That’s why it offers extra features for a fee, such as:
- 4K Plus – Since June 2021, YouTube TV has allowed users to watch content in 4K resolution. This also means that most of these are available as on-demand content. It offers a free trial for a month. Then it will charge a $20 monthly fee after that.
- HBO Max – For $15, you can watch the latest HBO Max Originals, all legacy HBO content, and its other networks.
- NBA League Pass – You get a free trial for seven days, then it’s $40 per month.
- Sports Plus add-on – The plan has a lot of add-on channels, including NFL RedZone, Stadium College Sports, NFL RedZone, Fox Soccer Plus, VSiN, Sports Grid, PlayersTV, BeIN Sports, PokerGO+, MAVTV, TVG, Stadium, GOLTV, Billiard TV, and Outside TV+. You also get a free trial for seven days.
- Entertainment Plus – For $30 a month, you get Showtime, STARZ, and HBO Max.
- MLB.TV – You get all the out-of-market games for $27 every season.
- Showtime – You gain access to Premium series and movies. You also get a free trial for 14 days.
- Hallmark Movies Now – The plan provides all your favorite Hallmark shows and a free trial for seven days.
- Cinemax – You get to watch its Premium series and movies for $10 a month.
- STARZ – You get to watch its Premium series and movies for $9 a month.
- EPIX – You get to watch its Premium series and movies for $6 a month.
- STARX+EPIX – You can get both of these add-ons simultaneously to save $3.00.
- CuriosityStream – You get to watch educational science programs for $3.00 a month. This also comes with a free trial for 14 days.
Read More: The Top YouTube Alternatives
List of YouTube TV channels
It would help you decide on getting this service if you saw all the channels you could get. That’s why I included this full list of its channel lineups:
- Adult Swim
- Animal Planet
- BBC World News
- CBS Sports
- CNBC World
- Cartoon Network
- Cheddar Business
- Cheddar News
- Comedy Central
- Cozi TV
- Disney XD
- Disney Junior
- FOX Business
- FOX News Channel
- Food Network
- Fox Sports
- Golf Channel
- Cheddar Big News
- Investigation Discovery
- Local Now
- MLB Game of the week
- MLB Network
- NBA TV
- NBC Sports
- NBC Universo
- NFL Network
- NatGeo Wild
- National Geographic
- Paramount Network
- Olympics Channel
- Orlando City
- SEC ESPN Network
- Smithsonian Channel
- Sounders FC
- The CW
- Travel Channel
- TV Land
- Universal Kids
- WE TV
- YouTube Originals
How to watch YouTube TV
This streaming service knows that smart TVs are popular nowadays. That’s why it makes sure to keep up with the latest models. TV on YouTube has native apps on the following television sets:
What’s more, it works on streaming media players like Chromecast with Google TV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and NVIDIA Shield.
How can I sign up for YouTube TV?
Let’s say you’ve decided to register for this service. You may only use YouTube TV on PC and Android mobile devices. It’s not available on iOS devices anymore.
Before you subscribe, you have to agree to a few conditions. Google owns YouTube TV, and you must agree to share your home ZIP code with it.
Also, you will have to allow device location permissions. This will allow you to access the right regional sports networks and other channels. Here’s how to register on PC and Android:
Sign up via PC
- Go to tv.youtube.com via your web browser.
- Click the button for the free trial.
- Use your Google account to sign in. If you don’t have one yet, create one first.
- Once the pop-up window appears, agree to share your ZIP code and location data.
- Check the price and the networks included in your Base Plan.
- Click Next to head to the next step.
- To add premium networks, click the circle next to your preferred network.
- Click Next once you’ve selected all the networks you want.
- Confirm the credit card you will use to pay for the membership. You will only have to pay once the free trial ends. You may cancel at any time.
- Click Buy to complete your sign-up.
Sign up via Android
- Get the YouTube TV app.
- Tap the button on the app to get a free trial.
- Sign in with your Google Account. If you don’t already have one, create a new account.
- Follow steps four to ten. The steps for Android devices are the same as for PC, except you tap the options instead of clicking them.
How to choose the best streaming service
YouTube TV is great if you watch YouTube TV Originals starring famous content creators. If you find your favorite YouTuber in there, then this might be for you.
Otherwise, you will have to follow more steps to choose the best streaming service. Learn more about them below:
- Check your budget before you look for new streaming services. Note that the base price may increase depending on your local taxes. You may save money by getting bundles like the STARX+EPIX from YouTube TV.
- Think of why you want a streaming service in the first place. You might be tempted to get one if it has a show you want right now. In that case, make sure the free trial will let you watch it. Otherwise, you may want to look elsewhere.
- If you’re not looking for a specific show, select the channels you want. This will help you find the platform that suits your interests. For example, you might want to check out Disney+ if you’re into its series and movies. If you want news channels like ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC, you might want cheaper options like Sling TV.
- Check your internet connection if it’s fast enough. The 4K resolution from YouTube TV won’t work if your internet can’t load it properly. This might be fine if you choose non-4K streaming services.
- See if the bundles or add-ons make an option worthwhile or not. If you want to enjoy your shows in 4K definition, you might be more willing to spend the extra $20.
- Verify the number of screens that may stream at the same time. This often depends on how many people live at your place. For example, you might need the Premium plan for Netflix if you have a large family.
- Check if it works with your current devices. This is especially important if your screen isn’t a smart TV. See if it works with your mobile devices too.
You might want to get a smart TV to make it easier for you to select streaming services. Specifically, Roku TV lets you select your preferences right on the device.
You can have HBO Max, YouTube TV, and other services in there. This means you won’t have to worry about compatibility. Still, you will have to create separate accounts for these services.
If you have other streaming services already, you might want to think twice before getting YouTube TV. You may save money if you stick to just one instead of several.