Best breast pump to buy for moms
What are the best breast pumps to buy for first-time mommies? This is a question that many new mothers ask as they gear up for breastfeeding. If you are in the market for a breast pump, there are a few factors to consider. Here is a breakdown of the different types of breast pumps and what one is best suited for.
Factors to Consider in Breast Pumps
Many people wonder what the best breast pump is and get one. It’s a tough decision because many brands and models are to choose from. But don’t worry! I’ve compiled a list of factors you’ll need to consider before making this important purchase.
- Decide on your budget: Do you want a basic or advanced model? Basic pumps start around $60-$200, while more advanced ones can cost up to $1000+. This will help narrow down your options for researching!
- Portability: Some moms prefer pumps that come with carrying cases, but others find them bulky and unnecessary.
- You may also want to consider how you plan to use it- whether it’s for when you’re outdoors or just staying at home.
- Consider the weight: If you love to travel or you’re a working mom who commutes to the office, get a lightweight pump.
- Power source: Your access to an electrical outlet is vital in your breast-pump decision making. If you’re out most of the time and need to pump in a bathroom or the car, you need an electric model that has a battery pack too.
12 Best Breast Pump to Buy for First-Time Mommies
Happy pumping! There are so many different breast pumps on the market these days that it can be hard to determine which one is best for you. If you’re a first-time mom, here’s a breakdown of the most popular and best types of pumps and what each is good for.
Why it’s the best: Spectra -S1 Plus Breast Pump is designed to help moms pump breast milk with ease. This electric pump can be used both at home and on the go, making it perfect for moms who are constantly juggling work and family.
Pros: While this perfect breast pump can be used as a single or double breast pump, the Spectra S1 Plus has an adjustable pumping speed setting. Which allows you to find the best place for your needs whether you’re looking for a quick session or want to take things slow and steady.
- It also includes a backlit LCD, so you’ll always know what setting you have it set at without having to look away from your baby while feeding them!
- Moms love this breast milk pump because of its lightweight design, making it easy to carry around in large totes or diaper bags.
Cons: This breast pump might not function well after years or a couple of months’ use. You can always contact their customer service for the warranty.
What to love: The Lansinoh SignaturePro Double Electric Breast Pump is a hospital-grade breast pump that provides an effective way to express milk.
- It has a unique design that includes three pumping styles, allowing the user to alternate to provide relief from breast engorgement or discomfort and imitate the baby’s feeding patterns.
- As one of the best, it also works quietly.
- It is also equipped with Bluetooth to connect to Lansinoh baby App 2.0 to guide you through your breast pumping journey.
- Since it’s a double pump, you can pump two breasts simultaneously.
Cons: If not fully charged, the battery power charge might not last longer than its normal capacity.
Why we like it: This manual breast pump has been designed to be simple and easy to use. You can exclusively pump with ease.
- The Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump is the perfect choice for moms who want an alternative to electric pumps.
- Its features include 2-phase technology, soft rim, and comfortable handle position for use with either hand on.
- The Harmony has an ergonomic design that is comfortable and discreet enough for pumping in public.
Cons: The suction power might not work after a couple of months of use.
Why we like it: As one of the best breast pumps on our list, this combination of power, speed, and portability makes it the perfect choice for moms on the go.
- This double electric breast pump comes with many features that make it easy to use, including hands-free pumping sessions (thanks to its rechargeable battery), adjustable suction strength, and lightweight.
- Plus, it has an LCD screen that displays time elapsed since the start of the session; the amount of milk pumped; level of vacuum, and battery status.
Cons: For some, it sounds louder than usual.
We love it: A breast pump used by celebrities, influencers, and other personalities and has won several awards. It’s the first manual breast pump with an ergonomic design that allows you to pump hands-free!
- It is designed to mimic the natural way of breastfeeding by using suction, compression, and release.
- The Haakaa doesn’t require any batteries or electricity, so it’s perfect for use at home, on the go, or anywhere else your adventures take you.
- The Haakaa Manual Breast Pump has been noted as effective for both mothers who are nursing full-time or occasionally pumping.
Cons: The older generations of this breast pump might be better for some than the new third generation.
Why we love it: Elvie Single Electric Wearable Smart Breast Pump is a portable machine that can be worn discreetly. The Elvie pump does not require tubes or wires, and it’s easy to clean.
- It features adjustable suction strength settings.
- Elvie’s app has settings and reminders tailored to each mom and her baby.
- You can customize the type of pumping session (e.g., full or quick), set alarms for when it’s time to switch sides, and track how much milk you’ve pumped over time.
Cons: Battery life can’t last long if not fully charged before use.
What to love: This is designed for one-handed use, making it easy to be on the go. It also comes with a built-in rechargeable battery, so you can do it anywhere without having to worry about finding an outlet.
- Plus, the Advanced Single Electric One-Handed machine is quiet and discreet, so you can use it in public without attracting attention.
- With its battery option that only requires 3 AA batteries, you can pump wherever you are.
Cons: The suction power might not function well after several months of use.
Why we like this: It has some great features like being lightweight and easy to use while still providing powerful suction for effective milk removal.
- The price of this unit is also affordable, making it an excellent option for moms who are looking for quality without spending too much money.
- The soft silicone cushion serves as a breast shield. It helps create an airtight seal around your nipple while doing this, decreasing milk flow interruptions.
Cons: When used after a few months, it can produce a squeaking sound while in use.
What to love: This is designed for moms who want to power through their pumping sessions. With its high-performance motor, you’ll be able to express more milk in less time.
- Plus, the MaxFlow feature ensures a comfortable and efficient pumping experience.
- The Medela Pump In Style with MaxFlow Breast Pump is a top-of-the-line electric breast pump that features a powerful motor, so you can quickly and efficiently pump your milk supply.
- The 2-phase expression technology imitates a baby’s natural sucking flows. While the massage cushion helps stimulate milk flow. Plus, the included cooler bag keeps your milk cool and fresh.
Cons: The bag included isn’t huge but just enough to carry the bottles included in this pack.
What to love: This hospital-grade breast pump is a great investment for a nursing mother. Not only does it allow her to continue to nurse when she goes back to work, but it also helps to increase her milk supply by 18% more.
- The Medela Symphony is one of the best hospital-grade machines on the market.
- It’s comfortable, easy to use, and super quiet, so it won’t disturb your baby while they sleep.
Cons: Their customer service has some room for improvement.
Why we love this: This wearable smart machine is designed to be worn inside your bra, so it’s completely hands-free. Plus, it connects to your smartphone so you can track your pumping progress, milk collection and log your sessions.
- A rechargeable battery also powers it, so you can continue working or carrying out daily tasks while you express milk.
- The accompanying app provides real-time pumping data to help you track your milk production.
Cons: It can lose its suction ability through a long use time.
Why we like this: This is one of the few double electric pumps on the market that has an option to synchronize two motors so they can work in tandem with your body’s natural rhythms.
- The company claims that this will increase milk flow and production because it mimics how babies nurse.
- Aside from its high-quality and affordable, the Bellababy Double Electric Breast Pump also allows mothers to use only one hand to control both motors, making pumping easier than ever before.
Cons: It might not be as quiet as the older models.
When choosing between breast pumps for the first time, mom, you need to consider your lifestyle and what’s going on in your life. We can help you find the best pump that fits your needs by considering these factors as well as the different types of pumps available.