Best Christmas albums ever
It’s that time of year again! Christmas is fast approaching, and if you’re anything like me, you’re in the mood for all things festive. To get you into the holiday spirit, here is a list of what I think are some of the best Christmas albums ever made.
There are classics on this list, from the likes of Bing Crosby to modern artists like Michael Bublé. All these holiday songs will make your heart feel warm inside when it comes to Christmastime.
Best Christmas Albums in the Old Times
In the old times, Christmas albums were far from being considered a genre of music. Nowadays, however, thousands of artists have worked on new songs and released them to celebrate the holidays. If you’re looking for some inspiration from Christmas classics during this season and want to listen to great sounds with a modern twist, then check out our list!
- Nat King Cole: The Magic of Christmas – the legendary voice of Nat King Cole gives the perfect tune to songs in this 1960 album. Popular songs are “O, Come All Ye Faithful,” “The Christmas Song,” “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire.”
- The Beach Boys: A Christmas Album’s 41-piece orchestral accompaniment exudes their album’s grandeur and festive vibe. Popular songs are; “I’ll be home for Christmas”, “Little Saint Nick,” and “Auld Lang Syne,”
- James Brown: A Soulful Christmas – this 1968 album features James Brown’s signature tone that made all the songs in this track festive. Popular songs are; “Say It Loud – I’m Black, and I’m Proud,” and “Let’s Unite the Whole World at Christmas.”
- Vince Guaraldi Trio: A Charlie Brown Christmas – this Christmas classic is a soundtrack of one of the best Christmas movies of all time – A Charlie Brown Christmas. Popular Christmas songs; “Skating,” “What Child is This,” and “Linus and Lucy.”
What are the top 10 selling Christmas albums?
Christmas music is one of the best parts of December. It’s great to have a soundtrack for your holiday, but it can be hard to find good, new Christmas albums that you love. So we’ve compiled a list of the top 10 selling best Christmas albums of all time. We hope you like them!
1. A Christmas Gift for you from Phil Spector (1963)
This album is a classic holiday at its best. With the entire crew humming in the holiday tunes, no wonder this is one of the top holiday albums. The production quality of the album is majestic, and it’ll boost your holiday spirits. Some of the album’s popular songs are; “Santa Claus is Coming to Town,” “Frosty the Snowman,” and “Christmas Baby, Please Come Home.”
2. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings: It’s a Holiday Soul Party
Imagine Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings collaborating in an album, sounds festive? While their collaboration on one of the best Christmas albums made the Christmas classic songs more lively, wait until you hear their loose and jolly renditions. This album features their version of “Silver Bells” and “White Christmas.” Aside from the two classics, many Christmas upbeat songs like “Big Bulbs” and “Just Another Christmas Song” are also included in this album.
3. Elvis Presley, ‘Elvis’ Christmas Album’ (1957)
While Elvis’ version of “White Christmas” sparked some ire from the song’s author, this Christmas album made it to the top. It stayed on the Billboard chart for one month and sold over 19 million copies in different editions. Knowing Elvis’ style on his songs, the Christmas songs on this album are a perfect mix of jolly rock and roll. Elvis’ versions of the traditional favorites “O Little Town of Bethlehem,” “Blue Christmas,” and “Santa Bring My Baby Back to Me” were all on the spot.
4. James Brown, ‘James Brown’s Funky Christmas’ (1995)
James Brown is a Christmas song icon. At his peak during 1966 until the ‘70s, he managed to record three Christmas-themed albums. All the best tracks from those three albums were compiled on this Christmas album.
His style of soul and R&B mixed ballad will boost your spirits this holiday season. Some of the popular original songs on this album are; “Merry Christmas Baby” and “Please Come Home for Christmas.” Other great tracks included “Let’s Unite the Whole World at Christmas” and “Santa Claus Goes to the Ghetto.”
5. Mariah Carey: Merry Christmas (1994)
Whether you’ve watched her ask “Is it time for Christmas?” on social media or have been starting to hear her Christmas songs playing, Mariah Carey is indeed a Christmas icon. And yes, there are other songs on this album aside from her ever-popular “All I Want for Christmas is You.” As one of the best Christmas albums, this also features songs like “Silent Night” and “All I Want for Christmas is You.”
6. Frank Sinatra, ‘A Jolly Christmas From Frank Sinatra’ (1957)
While this album’s launch was the same time as Elvis’ popular Christmas album, it has all the festive factors that can lift any Christmas spirit. With Sinatra’s magical voice, his performance of “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” on this album says it all. It’ll bring out a nostalgic and holiday feeling to anyone who listens to it.
7. Michael Bublé: Christmas
As one of the best Christmas albums, this collection will give you warmth during the holiday season. Michael Bublé’s strong but soothing voice gives justice to his renditions of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” “Ave Maria,” and “Holly Jolly Christmas.”
8. The Ventures, ‘The Ventures’ Christmas Album’ (1965)
You’ll be surprised at how brilliant The Ventures infused rock & roll to classic Christmas songs. Their hottest track on this Christmas album is their version of “Rudolph Red-Nosed Reindeer,” with a mix similar to the Beatles’ “I Feel Fine.” Don’t miss on listening to the other stylistic tracks here like “Frosty the Snowman,” “Jingle Bell Rock,” “Sleigh Bells,” and “Silver Bells.”
9. Bing Crosby, ‘White Christmas’ (1986)
The first song on Bing Crosby’s album is “White Christmas,” which sold 50 million copies. While this Christmas album was originally released in 1945 with the title Merry Christmas, it was reissued on a CD in 1986 as White Christmas. His elegant voice never ceases to catch everyone’s heart during the holidays. Some other tracks you have to listen to are “I’ll Be Home for Christmas” and “Silver Bells.”
10. The Jackson 5: The Jackson 5 Christmas Album
As one of the best Christmas albums, you can listen to one of the best versions of “Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town” in this record. Imagine young Michael Jackson’s voice while hitting the chorus part. It transforms this song to a whole new level. The Jackson 5 also sang “Frosty the Snowman,” “The Little Drummer Boy,” and finally, “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.”
The best Christmas albums are ones that evoke the spirit of the holiday season. Whether it’s nostalgia for a simpler time or feelings of warmth and goodwill to all men, these are some of our favorite records from years gone by.