Manhattan boy dies after eating grilled cheese

Manhattan boy dies after eating grilled cheese

/ 12:56 PM November 09, 2017 stock photo

Authorities are investigating the death of a three-year-old boy who had dairy allergies, and who may have died from eating grilled cheese given to him.

The boy, Elijah Silvera from Harlem, Manhattan, was at the local Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services where he was attending pre-K. An adult at the center apparently gave him the sandwich, according to information shared in a GoFundMe page set up for the boy.


Silveria was then rushed to the pediatric emergency room due to anaphylactic shock but died soon after on Nov. 3.

Parents at the center expressed concern over their own children.”I know that my daughter goes to this school, and if something happened to her I would be over the moon upset,” a parent, Jason Pruitt, told WABC-TV.


Three-year-old Elijah Silvera died after allegedly being served grilled cheese despite having dairy allergies. Image: Screengrab from

Donations from the GoFundMe page will be used to get a second autopsy for Silvera, as it is unclear whether responsibility for his death will be held accountable by the school or the hospital.

“We want to find out exactly what caused Elijah’s death and that will mean sorting out exactly where if any, breakdowns may have occurred at either the school or the hospital,” said Liz Murray, who volunteered to set up the GoFundMe page.

Parts of the will also go to the Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE), a nonprofit organization focusing on the food allergy community. Katrina Hallare/JB


Terminally-ill British baby Charlie Gard dies

Subscribe to our newsletters! Get updates right into your inbox

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
TAGS: grilled cheese, Manhattan
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.