How to Pair PS4 Controller
If it’s your first time with the Playstation 4, you probably don’t know how to pair a PS4 controller.
Some gamers might be accustomed to wired controllers from older consoles. Alternatively, you probably preferred mobile games back then.
Knowing how to pair PS4 controllers is the first step to playing on the console. Playstation 4 controllers enable you to play games and toggle console settings.
Take care of your controller, and make sure it contains a full charge. Should it malfunction, reset the controller or replace related parts such as its cable.
How To Sync A PS4 Controller To A PS4
Syncing is the first step on how to pair a PS4 controller.
This “introduces” your new PS4 Dualshock with your Playstation. Afterward, you may press the PS button on the controller to easily reconnect with the console.
You’ll need a USB to Micro cable so that you can sync your controller. Use the one packaged with your Playstation, or order a new USB 2.0 to Micro-B cable online.
Here are the steps on how to pair a PS4 controller:
- Before switching on your Playstation 4, plug your Micro USB cable into one of your console’s USB ports. Then, connect the controller to the other end of the cable.
- Turn on the PS4 by pushing its power button. It should immediately recognize your connected controller and place it on the first player slot available.
- Push the PS button to view the login screen. From there, you may create your player account or select existing ones.
Afterward, you can add more controllers using the following steps:
- Using your synced controller, navigate through the row of icons to find the Settings option. It has an icon that looks similar to a briefcase.
- Select Settings > Devices > Bluetooth Devices to reveal a list of devices currently synced with your Playstation.
- Grab the PS4 Dualshock you want to sync. Then, press and hold the Share button and the PS button simultaneously for 5 seconds.
- Once the new controller appears on the list of Bluetooth devices, select it using your other Dualshock. This will sync your new controller with your Playstation 4.
How To Sync A PS4 Controller To Your PC
After learning how to pair PS4 controllers, it’s time to do the same for PC gaming.
Pairing the controller allows some people to play games more effectively. Certain games function awkwardly on the mouse and keyboard but have better controls for controllers.
Before you proceed, make sure your PC has Bluetooth connectivity. Here’s how to pair PS4 controllers to your PC:
- Open your computer’s search menu. You may click the search bar below or push the Windows key and Q simultaneously. Then, search for “Bluetooth.”
- Look for “Bluetooth and other devices settings” in the search results, then click it.
- Toggle your Bluetooth to “On.”
- Push down the PS and Share buttons on your Dualshock until the backlight flashes.
- On your PC, click “Add Bluetooth or other devices” and then “Bluetooth.”
- You should see your PS4 controller named “Wireless Controller” on your PC. If you need to input a passcode, type “0000.”
How to Unpair a PS4 Controller
Besides learning how to pair PS4 controllers, you should also know how to unpair them:
- Make sure the Dualshock you want to unpair is switched off. Push down the PS button for 10 seconds to turn your PS4 controller off.
- Using your other controller, switch your console on. From the Playstation 4 home menu, select Settings > Devices > Bluetooth Devices.
- You should see a list of your controllers. Choose the one you want to unpair and select the Delete option.
Afterward, you may sync a new Dualshock 4. Just follow the same steps on how to pair PS4 controllers for the new unit.
How to Charge Your PS4 Controller
Now that you know how to pair a PS4 controller, you’re ready to play!
Eventually, you’ll need to recharge your Playstation controller. Charge the battery by connecting it to your console while it’s turned on or set to Rest Mode.
You should see the light bar blink yellow while charging. It’s the same one that glows during the steps on how to pair a PS4 controller.
It will take approximately 2 hours to replenish the battery completely. Once the controller is fully charged, the light bar turns off.
What To Know
Before learning how to pair PS4 controllers, let’s discuss its components.
The one included in your Playstation 4 is called a DUALSHOCK™4 Wireless Controller. On the front of your PS4 Dualshock, you’ll notice several buttons.
You’ll find the directional and action buttons on each side. The analog sticks are located below each of them. The PS button rests in the middle of them.
This is the button you need to pair your Dualshock 4 controller to your PS4. Pairing allows you to connect your controller wirelessly and control your console.
Troubleshooting Problems With Your PS4 Controller
After the steps on how to pair a PS4 controller, you’ll eventually play for some time. Consequently, your controller may start to show signs of wear and tear.
Worse, you may find that your Dualshock doesn’t work anymore. For example, your controller may not connect with your console despite pushing the buttons.
This could mean the Bluetooth connectivity has problems, so connecting it via cable might work. If the light bar isn’t glowing, you may have to replace your USB cable.
Alternatively, you may have to reset your PS4 controller, but it requires another functioning Dualshock 4. It follows similar steps on how to pair a PS4 controller:
- Using another controller, navigate through the row of icons to find the Settings option. It has an icon that looks similar to a briefcase.
- Select Settings > Devices > Bluetooth Devices, then select your faulty controller.
- Push Options on your PS4 controller, then select Forget Device.
- Turn off the PS4 by heading to the Power option then selecting Turn Off PS4.
- Reconnect the malfunctioning PS4 controller to your console.
- Turn on the Playstation 4.
- Press the PS button on the faulty controller to connect to the console. See if it’s working after the previous steps.
Unfortunately, you’ll have to purchase replacements if these components remain faulty.
You now know how to connect PS4 controllers to your console and PC!
The Dualshock 4 allows you to play on the PS4 without dangly wires. As you’ve may have noticed, syncing and pairing controllers is fast and easy.
However, we’ve also discussed how your controllers may eventually break. After learning how to pair PS4 controllers, you should know how to maintain them too.
Cleaning your devices helps you use them for much longer. Fortunately, you only need common household items to clean your PS4.
After connecting your controller, you can start gaming on the PS4. Have fun!