Social Media Images Sizes: Your Guide to the Optimal Image Sizes
When it comes to social media marketing, social media image size is a big deal. It’s what differentiates a good media post from a bad one.
Every media platform has its own width and breadth specification. To use the same image for all, you must optimize photo size for each platform as they all have different aspect ratios. This article contains the image size specifications of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, YouTube, Tumblr, and Snapchat.
Optimizing images for different media platforms is one thing, creating suitable content is another. But for the sake of this article, we’re going to stick to each recommended size. Take a deep breath, and stay glued to this blog.
Facebook Image Sizes
Uploading a Facebook post image size correctly, Facebook profile, Facebook ads can improve the engagement rate on your posts. Facebook boasts of 1.5 million active daily users, and being able to reach a good amount of these users is the goal of every online marketer.
Ensure that the images you upload are high-quality. The higher the quality, the higher your content is ranked. Facebook events and users interact more with photos, infographics, and videos.
Note: The profile image on your timeline appears as 170 x 170 on desktop, and 32 x 32 as a thumbnail associated with your Facebook cover photo.
- Cover image: 820 x 312 (minimum 400 x 150)
- Profile image: ≥180 x 180
- News feed post image: 1200 x 630
- Shared link preview image: 1200 x 628
- Event image: 1920 x 1080
Twitter Image Sizes
The Twitter profile image size is undoubtedly the home of trends, gossips, and memes. This is a platform that allows you to interact with your consumers.
Here, your end-users can leave queries, complaints, and praises. But beware of twitter savages.
Twitter profile image displays 200 x 200 on devices, but you’re expected to upload a photo with 400 x 400.
- Header image: 1500 x 500 | maximum 5 MB
- Profile image: 400 x 400 | maximum 2 MB
- In-stream image: 440 x 220
Instagram Image Sizes
Instagram is dominated by visual content– images, infographics, and videos. The platform has over 700 million active daily users. To utilize this app properly, your images must be well optimized for the platform.
Keep in mind, when sharing a photo via Instagram, your image would be scaled down to 612 x 612. However, you can set it to 1080 x 1080.
- Instagram Profile picture: 110 x 110
- Image thumbnail: 161 x 161
- Shared photos: 1080 x 1080
- Shared videos: 1080 pixels wide
- Instagram Stories: 1080 x 1920 (minimum 600 x 1067) | maximum 4 GB
Pinterest Image Sizes
Pinterest is a good platform for referrals. It allows users to input many external links, that often convert to leads or sales. The only requirement is that your pictures ought to be catchy because there’s huge competition for all fields on Pinterest.
- Profile image: 165 x 165 | maximum 10 MB
- Board cover image: 222 x 150 (minimum 55 x 55)
- Pinned image preview: 236 pixels wide
LinkedIn Image Sizes
The LinkedIn personal profile is basically for recruiting and professional networking. If you’re searching for a more serious media platform, where job-related content is the focus, LinkedIn is the platform for you.
It’s useful for bloggers, employers, and graduates or professionals searching for a job. When looking for listings, employer options, and job locations, LinkedIn is the app to use.
- Company page banner image: 646 x 220 | maximum 2 MB
- Company logo image: 300 x 300 | maximum 4 MB
- Company Cover image: 1536 x 768
- Shared image: 350 pixels wide
- Shared link preview: 180 x 110
- Square logo (appears in company searches): 60 x 60 | maximum 2 MB
- Profile image: 400 x 400 (minimum 200 x 200) | maximum 10 MB
- Banner image: 1584 x 396 | maximum 4 MB
YouTube Image & Media Sizes
YouTube has over one billion active users. Here, visual content is king. Your content must align with the essence of the page, in a way that viewers get the picture you’re trying to paint before streaming your videos.
Videos posted on YouTube adapt to any device, and your cover image differs in the view across each device.
- Channel cover images: 2560 x 1440 | maximum 4 MB
- Channel icon: 800 x 800
- Video thumbnail: 1280 x 720
Tumblr Image Sizes
Depending on your goal, Tumblr can be used as a social network, content sharing community, or blogging platform.
Currently, there are 430 million registered blogs on Tumblr. Its features and conversion rate are quite tempting, but there’s a lot of competition on Tumblr. To get your company noticed, you need a blog, distinguished product, and unique promotional content (pictures, infographics, and videos).
Note: the image sizes and restrictions attributed to gifs are different from that of an image.
- Profile image: 128 x 128
- Image post: 500 x 750 (maximum 1280 x 1920) | maximum 10 MB
Snapchat Image Sizes
Last but not least: Snapchat is dominated by visuals. there many ways in which you can promote your brand via Snapchat. You can use a geo-filter, share advertisements, or use sponsored lens to refine your digital marketing target.
- Geofilters: 1080 x 1920
- Lenses: 1080 x 1920
- Ads: 1080 x 1920
Published March 20, 2019; UPDATED May 20, 2019.