Pentagon withdraws 700 Marines from LA amid backlash over ICE raids

A US Marine stands on guard outside the Metropolitan Detention Center in Los Angeles on Tuesday, June 16, 2025. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)
LOS ANGELES — The Pentagon has announced the immediate withdrawal of 700 US Marines from Los Angeles, marking a major step in winding down a controversial military deployment linked to immigration enforcement and widespread protests.
The decision from the Pentagon follows mounting political and community pressure, legal challenges and increasing criticism over the use of federal troops in domestic operations.
The withdrawal comes after the Trump administration deployed 700 active-duty Marines and about 4,000 National Guard troops in June, purportedly to safeguard federal property during protests sparked by widespread Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids across Southern California.
You may like: Trump deploys Marines as tensions rise over Los Angeles protests
Last week, the Pentagon reduced the National Guard presence by half, leaving approximately 2,000 troops in the area.
You may like: 2,000 National Guard troops released from duty in Los Angeles
“With stability returning to Los Angeles, the (Defense) secretary has directed the redeployment of the 700 Marines whose presence sent a clear message: Lawlessness will not be tolerated,” Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said in a statement to media.
The unrest began on June 6, following coordinated ICE enforcement actions across Los Angeles County. Protests erupted over the next few days, prompting President Donald Trump to federalize 2,000 California National Guard troops and deploy them to Los Angeles.
You may like ‘Unacceptable’: LA mayor calls for end to immigration raids
An additional 2,000 troops and later the 700 Marines were added to protect federal buildings and assist local law enforcement.
Despite legal challenges from state officials, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled the troops could remain pending litigation, temporarily blocking a lower court’s ruling that had ordered the troops to be returned to the state’s control. The Pentagon’s latest move signals a shift toward ending the federal military presence in the area, although questions remain about the continued deployment of National Guard forces.
At a Sylmar press conference held the same day the Pentagon announced the troop withdrawal, Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass welcomed the decision but urged a full withdrawal of all federal forces.
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass, at podium, surrounded by city and state officials, veterans and community members, speaks about the US Marines currently deployed by the Trump administration in Los Angeles, during a news conference at the Los Angeles Mission College in Sylmar, Calif., Monday, July 21, 2025. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)
“The administration, we know, has retreated some of the forces, but we need all the troops to return home and to not be here—to not be used as political stunts, to not be used to intimidate Angelenos, and to not be used as pawns,” Bass said.
Standing beside her was State Senator Caroline Menjivar of Panorama City, a Marine Corps veteran who sharply criticized the deployment.
“It was so personal and infuriating to me to see 700 of my brothers and sisters in the Corps deployed to my backyard, because we did not sign up to intimidate and potentially take military action against Americans on American soil, who are exercising their constitutional right to protest,” Menjivar said.
She also condemned the financial burden of the operation, citing an estimated $134 million in taxpayer spending.
Janessa Goldbeck, CEO of the Vet Voice Foundation and a former Marine combat engineer officer, echoed the criticism: “The job of the American military is to fight and win wars – not police American neighborhoods.
Janessa Goldbeck | CONTRIBUTED
“When we blur that line, we don’t just risk overreach. We risk something deeper: the erosion of public trust in both our armed forces and in our democratic institutions,” Goldbeck said.
California Governor Gavin Newsom, who previously filed a lawsuit challenging the deployment, reiterated his opposition.
“There is no need for military deployment against civilians in Los Angeles,” Newsom said. He continues to push for the withdrawal of the remaining 2,000 National Guard troops.
As federal troops begin to withdraw, state and local leaders are also confronting the broader consequences of the immigration enforcement actions that triggered the unrest.
In Buena Park, Assemblywoman Sharon Quirk-Silva of the 67th Assembly District held a press conference highlighting the economic and social toll of the ICE raids. Her district includes Orange County communities such as Anaheim, Buena Park, Cypress, Fullerton and La Palma, as well as Los Angeles County cities like Artesia, Cerritos and Hawaiian Gardens.
Sharon Quirk Silva | CONTRIBUTED
Speaking alongside local business owners, educators, and community advocates, Quirk-Silva emphasized the widespread disruption caused by the enforcement operations.
“ICE raids are creating fear and disrupting our economy, hurting our local businesses, and putting tremendous pressure on our schools,” she said. “We need immigration policies that reflect our values, protect working families, and strengthen—not weaken—the communities that make California what it is.”
According to data shared at the event, ICE operations this year have led to over 2,000 arrests – more than half involving individuals with no criminal record. According to Quirk-Silva, economists project a 0.25 percent drop in California’s GDP – roughly $20 billion in lost productivity – due to labor shortages in sectors like agriculture, hospitality, and construction.
Meanwhile, “undocumented workers continue to contribute over $23 billion annually in tax revenue,” Quirk-Silva said in a statement.
Artesia Councilmember and former mayor Melissa Ramoso reflected on recent ICE activity in her city, noting that most of those detained had no prior criminal record. She highlighted local efforts to distribute “Know Your Rights” cards to businesses – an initiative supported by LA County Supervisor Janice Hahn’s office – aimed at informing employers and employees of legal protections.
Melissa Ramoso | FILE PHOTO
Ramoso stressed the raids’ impact on community morale, pointing to lower attendance at city events. She reaffirmed a commitment to public safety while advocating for education and solidarity during this period of uncertainty.