From ‘finsta’ to ‘thirst trap,’ Merriam-Webster adds 690 new words to dictionary
Merriam-Webster, one of the most respected names in the dictionary world, has recently had a fascinating update to its lexicon. This revision introduces 690 new words, phrases, and acronyms that reflect the evolving landscape of the English language, offering insights into contemporary culture and trends.
Among the noteworthy inclusions are:
- Doggo — a charming slang term for a dog, popular among pet enthusiasts
- Cromulent — made famous by “The Simpsons,” signifying something acceptable or satisfactory
- Chef’s kiss — a delightful gesture of approval, often expressed when savoring a culinary masterpiece
- UAP (Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon) — an acronym that has gained prominence in discussions of mysterious aerial sightings
- Beast mode — describing an individual’s highly aggressive or energetic style, typically adopted to excel in a competitive context
- Bracketology — frequently used during college basketball’s March Madness to describe the study of tournament brackets
- Finsta (secret Instagram account) — reflecting the growing trend of maintaining incognito Instagram profiles.
- Thirst trap — denoting a photo or video shared with the intent of attracting attention or desire, commonly seen on social media
- Nerf (in faming) — referring to the act of reducing the effectiveness of a character, attribute, or weapon in video games
- Jump scare — a term familiar to horror enthusiasts, indicating a scripted moment designed to startle the audience
This diverse array of additions mirrors the dynamic nature of language. Merriam-Webster carefully selects words based on criteria like frequency of use, widespread adoption, and meaningful relevance.
While some may view these additions as fleeting trends, Merriam-Webster welcomes them as signs of an energetic and evolving language—one that continually adapts, absorbs fresh expressions, and resonates with contemporary speakers.
Ultimately, these 690 new entries enhance the language’s versatility, offering precise means to convey thoughts, emotions, and experiences. As language enthusiasts celebrate this update, they eagerly anticipate the linguistic treasures the future may hold.
Language, like these newly added words, remains in perpetual motion, continually expanding and transforming.
View the full list here.