LOOK: Mocha Chiffon Cake recipe from the Goldilocks Bakebook
MOCHA CHIFFON CAKE
Cake Flour – 1 cup
Sugar – ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – 1 tsp
Coffee Powder – 2 tbsp
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Egg Yolk Mixture:
Egg Yolks – 4
Corn Oil – ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
Evaporated Milk – ⅓ cup
Water – ⅛ cup + 1 tbsp
Egg White Mixture:
Egg Whites – 4 Cream of Tartar ¼ tsp
Sugar – ½ cup
Icing & Filling:
Mocha Buttercream – 2 cups
1 – 8” x 12” rectangular cake
Pre-heat oven to 325˚F
- Line the bottom and sides of your chosen pan/s with parchment paper making
sure the lining on the sides covers the full height of the pan.
- Sift all dry ingredients and set aside.
- Combine egg yolk mixture ingredients in a mixing bowl with paddle attachment.
Mix at low speed until all ingredients are blended.
- Add dry ingredients at low speed. Mix for 2 minutes until batter is smooth.
Scrape sides to ensure consistent mixture as needed, then set aside.
- Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and sugar in a bowl with a wire whisk
attachment for 1 minute at low speed.
- Increase mixer to medium speed, and continue mixing for 3 minutes until
medium peaks form.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into whipped egg white mixture at low speed for 8-10
- Increase mixer speed to medium for 2 seconds. Don’t over-mix.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared pan(s).
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
- Let the cake stand for 5-10 minutes before inverting & placing on a rack to cool.
Peel off the liner once cool.
- Spread ¼ cup of Mocha Buttercream on top of the sponge.
Ingredients – Measurements:
Coffee Powder – 1 tsp
Evaporated Milk – ⅛ cup
Margarine (softened) – ½ cup
Unsalted Butter (softened) – ½ cup
Confectioners Sugar – 1½ cup
- Dissolve coffee powder in evaporated milk, and then set aside.
- Cube softened margarine and butter, and then mix in a bowl with paddle
- Cream margarine and butter at low speed until soft and well blended.
Occasionally scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- When the margarine and butter soften, switch the mixer to medium speed,
and continue creaming until the mix’s volume increases.
- Set mixer to low speed, and add confectioner’s sugar. Continue mixing until
all the sugar dissolves and the mixture is smooth.
- Occasionally scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to ensure that the sugar
particles are dissolved.
- Once the mixture is smooth, gradually add the milk-coffee combination under
low speed, and continue mixing until fully blended with the mixture.