What Is Roku TV, And Should You Buy It?
In the streaming age, television and movie experience is made easier. Gone are the days when people had to fixate on the content a channel provided for them on cable television. Everything is ready on YouTube or Netflix in one click or tap — but not all streaming sites are created equal. Now, finding for the perfect video content is made easier with all the streaming sites put into one place called Roku. So, what is Roku TV?
Roku, through its streaming devices, is specifically designed to allow you to watch television shows and movies from the Internet to your TV. Streaming is a secondary feature for most TV manufacturers, but Roku was built precisely for the age of streaming. A Roku streaming device, once connected to the TV, connects you to different video
Streaming sites such as the popular Amazon, Hulu, YouTube, and Netflix, or the not-so-popular ones offered in the service. These sites are called Roku TV channels. Accessing a Roku TV channel is similar to how a smartphone works with apps. In the Roku homepage, the most popular Roku TV channels are already there. However, there are more than 3,000 Roku TV channels, most of them are free channels from the Roku Channel Store. The Channel Store not only has a plethora of free channels on Roku but also features a cross-platform search, where you search using specific terms such as the title of the show or movie, or an actor. Roku then connects you to the streaming sites — again called the Roku TV Channel — where the show is already available. Roku then tells you whether a Roku TV Channel is a Roku free channel or requires a subscription. If you only want free movies and TV shows, then the Roku Channel is also available. However, do not limit yourself to only one Roku free channel, as there aren’t enough hours in the day to savor the available content on numerous Roku TV channels — many of them, as noted, Roku free channels.
What is Roku? Without Roku My Feed, it allows you to organize your content by simply following your favorite shows. You will get notified of a new episode every time it is available on a Roku TV Channel. Gone are the days of sorting through various sites to check when a new episode is ready for watching. Gone are the days of you navigating from one streaming site to another without one place to store them in. Gone even are the days of cable TV, since most of Roku TV channels are also cable channels — but this time with catch-up TV, allowing you to access the Roku channels archive.
These Roku free channels are only a few of the 3,000+ Roku TV channels available.
- Movies and TV: Netflix, Hulu TV, Amazon Instant Video, Sling TV, VUDU, M-GO, Disney, PBS, HBO GO, Crackle TV, PBS, Google Play Store, and more.
- News: CBS News, Fox News, Sky News, The Blaze, Weather Nation, and more.
- Sports: MLB.TV, NBA League Pass, NHL GameCenter, NFL Now, WatchESPN, WWE Network, UFC Online, and more.
- Internet: YouTube, Break, Vimeo, and countless niche channels.
- Music: Pandora, Spotify, and Slacker.
Roku boasts not only a variety of Roku TV channels and Roku free channels and other streaming devices. Roku does not only boast variety but quality as well.
- All Roku devices offer 1080p HD video.
- All Roku devices support wireless Internet connections in 802.11 (b/g/n).
- All Roku devices come with a remote.
Now, what is the Roku streaming device for you?
What is a Roku Streaming Stick and what does it have?
- Weights less than an ounce.
- Simply plugs into the back of the TV’s HDMI port.
- With a voice search enabled remote.
What is a Roku Streaming Stick Plus and what does it have?
- It offers HDR and 4k video at 60 frames per second.
- More than the Wi-Fi range.
What is a Roku Ultra and what does it have?
- USB storage supporting FAT16, FAT 32, NTFS and HFS+ drive formats.
- 802.11ac MIMO dual-band wireless.
- 10/100 Base-T Ethernet.
- 720p, 1080p, and 4K UHD with HDR video at 60 frames per second.
- Night listening mode.
- MicroSD card slot for additional channel storage.
- Advanced point is anywhere remote with voice search, headphone jack, and gaming buttons.
- IR receiver for universal remotes.
- Dolby Audio pass-through via HDMI.
What is a Roku Premiere+ and what does it have?
- 4K UHD resolution and HDR.
- Voice search, headphone jack, and gaming buttons.
What is a Roku Express+ and what does it have?
- Roku Standard IR Remote with channel shortcut buttons.
- Two AAA batteries.
- A high-speed HDMI cable, a power adapter & micro USB cable (for power).
- Composite A/V cable (red/white/yellow).
What is Roku TV, if not a good investment? Upgrading to a Roku device is cheaper and more practical than buying a Smart TV, often with less content and with a clunky interface for streaming.
Investing in a Roku streaming device is getting on with the times. Whether you are kicking back with the Roku Mobile App on your smartphone, browsing through the archive of a Roku free channel, or having your options on what Roku free channel offers the new movie or TV show, what is Roku if not an advancement of the movie and TV experience.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.