Texas man almost dies after being bitten by severed snake head

/ 03:22 PM June 08, 2018

INQUIRER.net Stock Photo

A man from Corpus Christi, Texas, luckily survived after he was poisoned by a rattlesnake, even if the reptile had already been beheaded.

Jennifer Sutcliffe said that she and her husband were doing yard work when they encountered the four-foot-long reptile on May 27. This was first reported by local media KIII-TV.

ADVERTISEMENT

The man did not hesitate and hit the snake with his shovel. But when he bent down to dispose of it, the head bit him.

“Which in that case since there is no body, it released all its venom into him at that point, so he had a lot of venoms,” she said about the incident.

FEATURED STORIES

Sutcliffe immediately called 911 and rushed him to the hospital. She said he began having seizures, experienced internal bleeding and lost his vision. She could not drive him fast enough, so she entrusted her husband to an ambulance.

“A normal person who is going to get bit is going to get two to four doses of antivenom,” she said. In her husband’s case, he received a whopping 26 doses. Doctors even told her that he might not make it, despite the amount of antivenom given to him.

“There are about 6,000 to 8,000 snake bites per year in the country, and 10-12 people die,” trauma surgeon Michael Halpert was quoted in the report. He added that although dying from a snake bite is rare, it does happen.

The victim is now in stable condition, although his kidney function is still weak.  Katrina Hallare /ra

RELATED STORIES: 

Sneaky surprise: Snake slithers around delivery car’s side mirror

Australian man in trouble with authorities for building massive backyard water slide

ADVERTISEMENT

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments
TAGS: ambulance, Corpus Christi, rattlesnake, snake bite, snake venom, Texas
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.