New York Loft Where Heath Ledger Passed Away Sells for $14.25 Million
The apartment where Hollywood actor Heath Ledger died 15 years ago recently sold for $14.25 million, says a report from The New York Post.
The news outlet said it was in Soho, Lower Manhattan, at 419-421 Broome St., that Ledger rented the 4,400 square-foot unit for around $25,000 monthly.
The Post said an anonymous LLC acquired Heath Ledger’s apartment through an off-market deal. However, it was not able to determine the identity of the buyer.
What’s it like inside Heath Ledger’s apartment?
— NDTV News feed (@ndtvfeed) March 21, 2023
The New York Times shared numerous details about the property. It said the building was built in 1873 by the architect Griffith Thomas.
He was famous for his prolific mid-19th-century projects like the New York Life Insurance Building.
Also, he designed a massive ballroom for Caroline Astor, a 19th-century socialite known as “Mrs. Astor.”
The building turned into a condominium with two additional stories after Thomas died. Heath Ledger’s apartment space had three baths and three bedrooms.
It has an open floor plan and a fully furnished great room. Moreover, the home includes cast-iron columns and coffered ceilings.
How did Heath Ledger die?
Heath Ledger is an iconic actor known for his role in Brokeback Mountain and The Dark Knight. The latter earned him an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.
Months before he died, the award-winning actor said in an interview with The New York Times:
“Last week, I probably slept an average of two hours a night. I couldn’t stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going.”
Ledger said he had taken two Ambien pills that only gave him an hour of sleep. On January 22, 2008, a masseuse went to his home for an appointment and found him dead.
In response, she called actress Mary-Kate Olsen three times before dialing 911. The New York City medical examiner explained the cause of death:
“Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine.”
The medical examiner only mentioned generic names, so we cannot determine whether the drugs were generic or branded.
Heath Ledger’s father, Kim, released a statement regarding his son’s death:
“While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy.”
“Heath’s accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage.”