Florida man dies from infection after eating bad oyster | INQUIRER.net
Sunday, August 19, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Florida man dies from infection after eating bad oyster

/ 07:20 PM July 19, 2018

INQUIRER.net stock photo

A 71-year-old man from Sarasota County, Florida died from a bacterial infection he got after eating a bad oyster.

The local health department said the unidentified man died on July 10 from vibrio, a bacteria usually seen from undercooked oysters, reports WFLA yesterday, July 18. The report also stated that the man had underlying medical issues.

Health officials said that the incident was the first case of death from vibrio in the county this year. According to the department’s website, there were no similar cases in 2017, while three cases were recorded back in 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT

The department did not disclose the name of the establishment where the man got the oysters from.

The bacteria, officially called vibrio vulnificus, is rare and naturally occurring in warm, brackish seawater, according to the Florida Department of Health. Katrina Hallare/JB

RELATED STORIES: 

Beach umbrella pierces through tourist’s ankle on New Jersey shore

LOOK: Canadian couple suffers from swollen feet caused by parasites from beach

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: bacteria, Florida, oysters, Sarasota County, vibrio vulnificus
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.